Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is the best way to help you get better in maths? watch

ReputationRep:
    ? how

ReputationRep:
    At GCSE stage it's definitely MyMaths, youtube videos and nagging your teachers about helping you to understand A* questions during the breaks. My sister used to get private tutors few hours a week after school, but that's the expensive way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melancholic Mill)
    At GCSE stage it's definitely MyMaths, youtube videos and nagging your teachers about helping you to understand A* questions during the breaks. My sister used to get private tutors few hours a week after school, but that's the expensive way.
    I'm finding it hard to do some C grade questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by najama_)
    I'm finding it hard to do some C grade questions.
    First of all do not be bothered by this. It is actually possible to improve from C grade to A grade within the timespan of a week. Go to youtube and watch how people do equations you are struggling with, once you get the logic behind what they are doing you'll do it yourself.

Use mymaths also.

And DEFINITELY talk to your teachers and tell them you need A grade.

ReputationRep:
    Unless you mean really hard stuff like calculus just start gambling.

ReputationRep:
    Oh sorry please ignore my post.I understand it's a big problem.

ReputationRep:
    Also, if you qualify for any reason, ask for extra time. I actually stuy Maths at university and get a whole additional hour for 3 hour exams. That is because I have a dyslexia which is really bad for mathematicians.

Some people get extra time because they are from EAL (English Additional Language) households. Others because of autistic spectrum etc.

ReputationRep:
    Past papers. They took me from a D to an A in two weeks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wisbey)
    Past papers. They took me from a D to an A in two weeks.
    And also past papers! In fact past papers are even more important than either mymaths or youtube tutorials.

ReputationRep:
    Past papers. Literally do every single past paper available to you, mark them, make a note of any questions you couldn't do, then retry them again in a few weeks time. Also use Exam Solutions' videos. I never used them at GCSE, but I have done for A Level and they're pretty fantastic.

ReputationRep:
    in a week i went up from 30/100 to 70/100
    i did this by doing a past paper, marking it and what ever i got wrong i would write the topic down then go over it by using youTube maths videos or maths watch
    i did at least a past paper everyday and went through all the topics in a day
    by the end of the week i had improved by 40 marks

ReputationRep:
    i would definitely definitely definitely recommend the maths watch disc. i can't believe it helped me so much, i dint really think it would in the beginning because I'm not a visual learner, but she explains it really well. trust me, you will be A* in a month. however, i don't know if they do the new 9-1 thing you might be doing, thats the only problem.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.