Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

European city Destinations for cheap travel?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to travel to any European city for holidays and to explore. I've thought about: Amsterdam and Dublin for now, cause they're not that far and I can visit more areas of the country.....Any other cheap destinations?

ReputationRep:
    Baltic countries! They are relatively cheap and very beautiful! And exotic to a western eye

ReputationRep:
    Moscow,Russia

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chazeyourself)
    I'd like to travel to any European city for holidays and to explore. I've thought about: Amsterdam and Dublin for now, cause they're not that far and I can visit more areas of the country.....Any other cheap destinations?
    Can't speak for Dublin, but as amazing as Amsterdam is, it's definitely not cheap.

Generally the further east you go the cheaper it will be, and if you go somewhere which doesn't use Euros, that will be even cheaper still.

Good places to go which fit that criteria include cities such as Prague, Budapest, Krakow, Split and Zagreb. I've been to both Prague and Budapest (and would say Budapest is one of my favourite cities I've ever been to) so if you have questions about either of those then feel free to hmu.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pizzanomics)
    Can't speak for Dublin, but as amazing as Amsterdam is, it's definitely not cheap.

Generally the further east you go the cheaper it will be, and if you go somewhere which doesn't use Euros, that will be even cheaper still.

Good places to go which fit that criteria include cities such as Prague, Budapest, Krakow, Split and Zagreb. I've been to both Prague and Budapest (and would say Budapest is one of my favourite cities I've ever been to) so if you have questions about either of those then feel free to hmu.
    Agreed. Budapest is the absolute *******s.

ReputationRep:

Hey I was actually thinking of visiting Budapest this summer. Is there much to do in terms of fun activities? Also is there a particular area that's better to stay in?

ReputationRep:
    manchester

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aarora)
    Hey I was actually thinking of visiting Budapest this summer. Is there much to do in terms of fun activities? Also is there a particular area that's better to stay in?
    I would stay either in the Jewish district or in the area between Deák Ferenc tér, Oktogon and Nyugati station in Pest. That is where most of the ruin bars such as Szimpla are. My favourite restaurant has to be Pozsonyi Kisvendéglő (literally means Bratislava Tavern). Despite the name you can get huge portions of Hungarian food at dirt cheap prices. Also Frici Papa is a bit more centrally located and similarly cheap, but less food choice.

In terms of activities, walk around to your heart's content as it's beautiful, go on a free walking tour, use one of the spa baths such as Széchenyi or Gellért, and of course party, because there are few better value cities for boozing.

ReputationRep:

Ohhh those cities look apetizing!..but i got a question are they welcoming or tolerant to black people especially if you end up travelling on your own?
    ive always heard that such areas tend to be racist in some ways

ReputationRep:
    Prague!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    Agreed. Budapest is the absolute *******s.
    Personally I found Budapest wasn't all that. Not sure why it gets raved about so much. I'd recommend Krakow over it any day.

ReputationRep:
    I think dublin is quite expensive from my previous experience...
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Palma in Majorca was quite cheap for a week all inclusive with my best friend

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    Personally I found Budapest wasn't all that. Not sure why it gets raved about so much. I'd recommend Krakow over it any day.
    I think I prefer Budapest. It still has that slightly mad "ex communist" feeling without the rubbish communist architecture. The Danube valley view taking in the Chain Bridge is breathtaking. The food is great compared to surrounding countries, with massive portions at respectable places at rock bottom prices. I like Czech and Polish food and prefer filling food to gourmet, but the spice was a really welcome difference. Maybe two things that were slightly lacking were the availability of good beer and the fact that it's probably not quite as clean as other cities in C. Europe. Possibly not the most historically interesting either. But I like cheap lager and am a semi-philistine when on holiday.

I loved Kraków. The old town, Kazimierz and Nowa Huta are fascinating. Cracking nightlife. Good food. But I think the energy and beauty of Budapest is very hard to beat in ex communist Europe.

ReputationRep:
    Almostany major city in europe is cheap to fly to these days but to stay in and general expenses look south and east in europe

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.