Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to know all the possible routes in to Dentistry for people who did not achieve their A2 level grades. I hope everyone the best but I just wanted to know all the ways to get in to Dentistry, e.g like going into Biomed etc... or even studying a different course etc..

If someone can educate me on this, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I got 3 B's at alevel and needless to say I didn't get in. However I did biomedical science and applied with a first class degree and got in that way 😊 I'm writing a blog to help other people who find themselves in a similar situation... Don't know if it'll help you but the link is on my profile!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentdentist)
    Hi, I got 3 B's at alevel and needless to say I didn't get in. However I did biomedical science and applied with a first class degree and got in that way 😊 I'm writing a blog to help other people who find themselves in a similar situation... Don't know if it'll help you but the link is on my profile!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'll be sure to check the blog out!! Also once you do Biomed, is it really hard to get in to Dentistry and are there tons of other Biomed students who are also trying to get in? What year do you join if you get in from biomed? Is it hard to get a firstclass degree? Also can you do another degree such as computer science and still apply for Dentistry after it?

Those are the questions I'm thinking of atm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Susta1nz)
    I'll be sure to check the blog out!! Also once you do Biomed, is it really hard to get in to Dentistry and are there tons of other Biomed students who are also trying to get in? What year do you join if you get in from biomed? Is it hard to get a firstclass degree? Also can you do another degree such as computer science and still apply for Dentistry after it?

Those are the questions I'm thinking of atm
    I didn't feel at any disadvantage when it came to applying as a graduate but I know other people who would disagree.. I suppose it comes down to what you have done to prove you deserve a place. ie work experience, what you have learnt from your degree other than academia.I also had a good amount of voluntary work in hospitals etc. A first class requires you to be extremely dedicated, however I know a lot of unis only ask for a 2.1 which I feel is definitely achievable. Most unis don't allow you to go straight into the second year anymore due to new guidance from the GDC but I know there are a few that remain.. Liverpool requires you to submit evidence of your knowledge of topics and to give details of the modules in which you studied these topics.

I was specifically told by a dental admissions tutor to study Biomedical Science as this had the most cross over. However, many unis allow you to enter with other health-related courses. I'm not too sure about computer science...

ReputationRep:
    I'm going abroad to Spain

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentdentist)
    I didn't feel at any disadvantage when it came to applying as a graduate but I know other people who would disagree.. I suppose it comes down to what you have done to prove you deserve a place. ie work experience, what you have learnt from your degree other than academia.I also had a good amount of voluntary work in hospitals etc. A first class requires you to be extremely dedicated, however I know a lot of unis only ask for a 2.1 which I feel is definitely achievable. Most unis don't allow you to go straight into the second year anymore due to new guidance from the GDC but I know there are a few that remain.. Liverpool requires you to submit evidence of your knowledge of topics and to give details of the modules in which you studied these topics.

I was specifically told by a dental admissions tutor to study Biomedical Science as this had the most cross over. However, many unis allow you to enter with other health-related courses. I'm not too sure about computer science...
    I've PM'd you if you don't mind me asking some questions. I'm really curious about some things

(Original post by Supermanxxxxxx)
    I'm going abroad to Spain

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which uni abroad and what grade reqs do they require?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Susta1nz)
    I've PM'd you if you don't mind me asking some questions. I'm really curious about some things

Which uni abroad and what grade reqs do they require?
    I'm going to Uem Valencia and they need bbb

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

At certain unis they allow biomed first years to apply for a transfer to medicine or dentistry. But competition is fierce. They need to be high achievers in the biomed course, write a personal statement and have an interview.

Alternatively, you can do a medical related degree then apply to dentistry. I have friends who did pharmacology and biomed then applied for dentistry.

You could take a gap year, do more experience and resit some exams then apply again.

You could also study dentistry abroad.

Hope this helps.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.