Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Will apple really be ditching the headphone jack, and upgrading the camera to 16mp ... thoughts guys ?

Also... do you plan on upgrading to the iPhone 7 or will you wait for the 2017 model ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fefssdf)
    Will apple really be ditching the headphone jack, and upgrading the camera to 16mp ... thoughts guys ?

Also... do you plan on upgrading to the iPhone 7 or will you wait for the 2017 model ?
    The headphone jack will probably be dropped, which will be annoying but ultimately the market has a habit of adapting to Apple killing things off like the optical drive. As long as they have a well implemented alternative for people who want to carry on using wired headphones I don't think it will hurt them.

Moving to a higher megapixel camera wouldn't actually be an "upgrade", the days when high resolution cameras won the spec wars are over and low light performance is the battleground now and 12MP seems to be a sweet spot between resolution and pixel size (larger pixels equals exposure to more light) that the industry has settled on- Samsung, HTC and the newest Nexus Phones have all moved back to the 12MP point.

But yeah, I'm not expecting anything radically different for the 7, outside of the relatively radical loss of any analogue audio. It will probably get thinner with the loss of the 3.5mm jack, they'll probably refine the design without overly changing it, and generally bump it's specs up.*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    The headphone jack will probably be dropped, which will be annoying but ultimately the market has a habit of adapting to Apple killing things off like the optical drive. As long as they have a well implemented alternative for people who want to carry on using wired headphones I don't think it will hurt them.

Moving to a higher megapixel camera wouldn't actually be an "upgrade", the days when high resolution cameras won the spec wars are over and low light performance is the battleground now and 12MP seems to be a sweet spot between resolution and pixel size (larger pixels equals exposure to more light) that the industry has settled on- Samsung, HTC and the newest Nexus Phones have all moved back to the 12MP point.

But yeah, I'm not expecting anything radically different for the 7, outside of the relatively radical loss of any analogue audio. It will probably get thinner with the loss of the 3.5mm jack, they'll probably refine the design without overly changing it, and generally bump it's specs up.*
    I guess apple will provide some form of wireless headphones with the phone or an adapter or some form... I think I'm going to wait till next year for the 7s

ReputationRep:
    Nah. I think I'll wait for the 7s. I hear the design is gonna be all glass*
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I'm not going to buy any phone at all if it drops the 3.5mm headphone jack.

It won't make much difference in the thickness of the phone!

And anyway, yes Apple laptops may not have the optical drive, but most other laptops still do - so it won't be going anywhere soon. The same goes for the 3.5mm jack. It won't be going anywhere anytime soon (except for Apple).

Though most people won't be happy having to replace their headphones so that they work in one device... which may lead to a loss in sales!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spotify95)
    I'm not going to buy any phone at all if it drops the 3.5mm headphone jack.

It won't make much difference in the thickness of the phone!

And anyway, yes Apple laptops may not have the optical drive, but most other laptops still do - so it won't be going anywhere soon. The same goes for the 3.5mm jack. It won't be going anywhere anytime soon (except for Apple).

Though most people won't be happy having to replace their headphones so that they work in one device... which may lead to a loss in sales!
    Yeah but, do people still even use CDs lol? I literally haven't used a CD for anything in years.
    But yeah, like you said; 3.5mm jack isn't going to be killed off anytime soon, unless apples solution to it is an improvement, however even then I doubt that will do anything, given Apples habit of making all their **** exclusive to their products.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by 34908seikj)
    Yeah but, do people still even use CDs lol? I literally haven't used a CD for anything in years.
    But yeah, like you said; 3.5mm jack isn't going to be killed off anytime soon, unless apples solution to it is an improvement, however even then I doubt that will do anything, given Apples habit of making all their **** exclusive to their products.
    I still use CD's because not all devices (for example, kitchen radios, hi-fis, car radios etc) have an AUX IN or USB IN for MP3s or the like. Plus, for the CDs that I do have, how am I going to get the tracks from the CD to the laptop, if the laptop has no CD/DVD drive?

I've got quite a lot of headphones/earphones that I use, and all of them have a 3.5mm connection. That means, that if I get an iPhone with no 3.5mm jack, then none of my headphones (which are probably more comfortable for longer periods of time than the Apple Earpods) will work with said new iPhone. Furthermore, if a user of an iPhone 6 or 6S wanted to use their existing Earpods in their new iPhone, they'll realize that they can't, unless they buy an adapter that converts the Lightning connector to 3.5mm. And of course, that then removes any way of charging the device.

Yes, there will be manufacturers out there that are making headphones/earphones for the Lightning port, but that'll then mean I'll have to buy a new pair of headphones (which will be quite expensive) for one device (iPhone) which then can't be used with any other device.

3.5mm jacks are universal in all devices, they provide compatibility across devices - removing it will cause compatibility issues!

Likewise, if I want to play some music from my new iPhone, with no 3.5mm jack, across the room (using an external speaker), how do I do that? All of my speakers are universal and designed with 3.5mm in mind, so that I can use them for any device. I do have a Bluetooth speaker, but it is quite small (only 3W) and more made as a portable speaker rather than a permanent solution. My computer speakers have coax, optical and 3.5mm input connections. My hi-fi doesn't have any input connections, but is quite old and will be replaced by one that has a 3.5mm connection as an aux in. Other speakers that I have are 3.5mm only. Based on that, how do I play my music to an external speaker, using my incompatible iPhone?

Apple will be very foolish indeed if they drop the 3.5mm jack.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.