The Student Room Group

my teacher is putting me down!!!

i went to my ucas career teacher and she said that if i wanted to do medicine i need to get the top grades ibn gcses but i know that imperial college is scrapping the gcses system when i get into their uni!she made it look like the outcome will not be positive,is she wrong or am i wrong?what else can i do to improvew my application???
Reply 1
Original post by MO49
i went to my ucas career teacher and she said that if i wanted to do medicine i need to get the top grades ibn gcses but i know that imperial college is scrapping the gcses system when i get into their uni!she made it look like the outcome will not be positive,is she wrong or am i wrong?what else can i do to improvew my application???

at the end of the day if you want to do medicine then you obviously need to get the best grades going so someone telling you to get excellent grades isn't wrong even if gcses aren't as important as alevels, but unis need to compare candidates so if you get amazing gcses then you're gonna look a lot better than someone will less than amazing grades ?
Reply 2
Original post by MO49

You do need fairly good GCSE grades to apply to medical school. Indeed, Imperial no longer have minimum GCSE requirements but they were always fairly lax (previously AABBB in any order in the following subjects: biology, chemistry, physics, maths and english language). You don't just apply to a single medical school, you apply to 4 - and even out of people who achieve a high proportion of A* at both GCSE and A-Level end up with 4 rejections. Therefore it benefits you to achieve the best grades you can.

General info about applications can be found here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine_Forum_Guide_and_FAQs
Though the GCSE requirement has been removed they still require you to get very good GCSEs. Most candidates especially for Imperial get amazing GCSEs so it might disadvantage you against them if your grades aren't top.
You should definitely work your hardest. Try to get really good grades in year 12 and high predicted A2 grades. Make sure you show why you want to do medicine by doing work experience and volunteering. But keep up extra-curricular activities to show that you can handle a work-life balance.
He isnt putting you down, you are being put down by what he is saying, and BTW, he isn't wront
Reply 5
Original post by MO49

Just request a private meeting with your form tutor instead of careers advisor if you have lost faith in him, and tell them your concerns. Tell them that you really want to do medicine and can achieve those goals due to XYZ...

It is extrememly unfair that schools play favourites. Medical schools also know the deal, and won't be particualry swayed by them being prefects/head of year etc.

I wanted to do Cambridge Medicine.
Teachers thought I was never good enough.
They ACTIVELY discouraged me.
They told me that they would not support my application if I applied to the same college as one of the school's favourites for medicine. So I had to change my college choice. (The other person did not get in for medicine eventually).

When school prefects positions was given out, I was passed over (even though I was the prime candiate to become one). Many far less able canditates got the positions.

My referee also "mistakenly" wrote down wrong UMS mark for my AS level (they reported it to be 35 marks lower than what it should have been on a topic!). Never said sorry. When I complained, they hauled me in front of the Headmaster, and told me off for requesting the reference from UCAS under the Freedom of Information Act.

None of those stopped me from a getting a place and getting triple firsts.
That was many many years ago now.

It is all upto you.
Don't let anyone tell you that you can't do it.
Because if you start to believe in them, you won't believe in yourself.

If you need any help with applicaitons, PM me. I will gladly help you.
Original post by MO49

At the end of the day you cant change your GCSE's so just focus on the other parts of your application like your UKCAT, PS and grades. Also do your own research as teachers/careers advisors van be completely useless and misinformed
Original post by GH
None of those stopped me from a getting a place and getting triple firsts.
That was many many years ago now.

I'd wager that that chip on your shoulder was the best gift your school could have given you. Nicely done ;-)
Original post by MO49

wait have you done your GCSE's yet?
Original post by MO49

Imperial is one of the only medical schools that have scrapped GCSE requirements all together, and I can tell you now that very few medical schools will follow considering the reforms with A-levels.

It is important to get good GCSE grades for medicine as a lot of medical schools look at them. I would aim for a minimum of B's in maths, science and english language, but ideally to get into medicine and be a competitive applicant at many schools having 6A/A* grades is roughly average.

You also have to remember the less emphasis placed on academics such as GCSE grades, the more emphasis is placed on entrance exams. Imperial doesnt require GCSEs anymore, but you have to have an outstanding BMAT score to get an interview (and trust me many will tell you this is not easy at all).

Your teacher is right, you need to aim for top grades for medicine to be a competative applicant. Its a saturated applicant pool and many will have all A* grades at GCSE. My advice is try your best but dont get to bogged down, you can get in with lower GCSEs as long as you achieve B grades in the core subjects, it will just mean your options are limited.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending