The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I went to Nerja on the Costa del sol very recently, its lovely there compared to other areas of the costa del sol such as fuengirola, torremolinos etc. Its quieter, more spanish, has a limit on how many floor there can be on a building(i think its 4) and has refused an application for mc donalds to come to the town. I really recommend people go to Nerja!
Reply 21
lovely_girl
Who has been to Spain, on hol? What is it like there? I've never been to Spain, and my parents wanna go to Costa Dorada(Salou) in August...so, just wondering what it's like there, and if anyone has been to Costa Dorada in particular! :smile:

Why Spain? Why not France or Italy? Or why not the USA?
lovely_girl
Who has been to Spain, on hol? What is it like there? I've never been to Spain, and my parents wanna go to Costa Dorada(Salou) in August...so, just wondering what it's like there, and if anyone has been to Costa Dorada in particular! :smile:

Some parts of Spain are really beautiful - its usually best to avoid any bars named after English pubs though! Some friends have just got back and it was up in the 90's so take sun screen! Oh, and learn a couple of Spanish phrases, they really appreciate it!
Have a great time.
Reply 23
this year, for the first time, spain has overtaken france as the most popular destination of UK holiday makers. "no!" you cry, "yes" i reply, nodding knowingly, "it was on bbc news 24 and therefore must be right"
Reply 24
lotus_lee
Why Spain? Why not France or Italy? Or why not the USA?

I dunno why! They just want to!:frown: So im going to Salou, Costa Dorada in 2 weeks!...hmm, will spf 15 sun block be ok? Or is 20+ a better idea??? I want to have a tan, but i don't wanna burn!!!
Reply 25
'
{ingnik']this year, for the first time, spain has overtaken france as the most popular destination of UK holiday makers. "no!" you cry, "yes" i reply, nodding knowingly, "it was on bbc news 24 and therefore must be right"

nooo!
i'm going to salou on 25th august with my mates, should be a laugh. Someone told me theres a big theme park and water park there....will have to check this out :cool:
Reply 27
on_a_plain_11
i'm going to salou on 25th august with my mates, should be a laugh. Someone told me theres a big theme park and water park there....will have to check this out :cool:

oo cool, where are you staying? You're lucky that you're going with friends, im going with my parents :frown: !
yeah, there's a cool theme/water park there:smile:
lovely_girl
I dunno why! They just want to!:frown: So im going to Salou, Costa Dorada in 2 weeks!...hmm, will spf 15 sun block be ok? Or is 20+ a better idea??? I want to have a tan, but i don't wanna burn!!!

Hehe - look at this snap that I took from Barcelona (two days ago). Then consider that a severe danger warning has been issued in the Med* - as some bloody hot air is coming over from the Sahara as we speak: 47 degrees is expected in one area of southern Spain (within the next fortnight).

*Spain, in particular, is fearing the kind of heatwave that killed 15,000 Gallic geriatrics last summer.

I don't know much about the Costa Dorada, but I'd recommend that you take the highest SPF-value cream that you can find, and drink lots of water. On the day that I left, it was high 70s humidity as well!
I'm in Spain atm!

In Chiclana de la Frontera on the Costa de la Luz, in the south west of Spain!

Weather is v hot. Er high 30's I'd say. Second time I've been here.

Been 2 Lanzarote 12 times on holiday 1986-1997 and 2000, Tenerife once in 2001, Madrid once in 2003 (with college) and Málaga once in 2004 (with college)
Reply 30
so what spf should i use? I want a tan, but I don't wanna burn!!!
lovely_girl
so what spf should i use? I want a tan, but I don't wanna burn!!!

Seeing as you want to tan, I'd probably say not less than SPF 20, but then I don't know your situation:

Do you tan easily or do you have a tendency to burn and/or go red?

Are you dark/light skinned?

Do you have sensitive skin?
Reply 32
mobbdeeprob
Seeing as you want to tan, I'd probably say not less than SPF 20, but then I don't know your situation:

Do you tan easily or do you have a tendency to burn and/or go red?

Are you dark/light skinned?

Do you have sensitive skin?

well, im quite light skinned...but I -do- tan easily...I don't burn as easily as some fair people...my skin is not too sensitive either...
but if the weather is about 30c, will I be able to tan if I use spf 20-30? I usually use spf 15, but I -do- burn sometimes...if it's realllly hot! Hmm, is it possible to tan, using a spf 30 sunblock???
lovely_girl
well, im quite light skinned...but I -do- tan easily...I don't burn as easily as some fair people...my skin is not too sensitive either...
but if the weather is about 30c, will I be able to tan if I use spf 20-30? I usually use spf 15, but I -do- burn sometimes...if it's realllly hot! Hmm, is it possible to tan, using a spf 30 sunblock???

Hmm, I'd say 25+ SPF - as for whether you'll tan, I should think so.

Given what you've said and because it's not a particularly arid heat in the Med at the moment, you should get away with sub-30 if you are sensible.

Isn't it possible to get combined suncream & bronzer? This might help.
Reply 34
im' not to sure about the costa dorada, but my gran lives on the costa blance and i've been going since i was little and glance is right in some respects as the whole of spain has become more and more commercial in particular areas and there is some change everywhere!!! however it is still a beautiful place to visit if you go to the right places and avoid the crowds. the south of spain is much poorer then the north and therefore isn't as developed my uncle just got back from there and said its beautiful but in the whole place that they were there was only one resturant and a cafe. I wouldn't worry about the place as generally you can always find some areas that you will like whereeve you go!
with regards what spf to use i would say you should definately start with a high one as august is the hottest time of year for spain and believe me it can get unbearable at points!!! after the first couple of days if you haven't burnt then im sure you'll be ok to start using a lower spf. oh and if you find yourself feeling dizzy or really dehydrated then as well as drinking lots of water it would be a good idea to take salt tablets because they help you to conserve water, its the only thing that helped my gran last out last summer, usually they come over here for the month.
the main thing is to just go and relax and enjoy whatever you are met with, i'm sure you'll have a fab time i'm quite jealous really :tongue:
i'll shut up now after all that
Reply 35
angel18
im' not to sure about the costa dorada, but my gran lives on the costa blance and i've been going since i was little and glance is right in some respects as the whole of spain has become more and more commercial in particular areas and there is some change everywhere!!! however it is still a beautiful place to visit if you go to the right places and avoid the crowds. the south of spain is much poorer then the north and therefore isn't as developed my uncle just got back from there and said its beautiful but in the whole place that they were there was only one resturant and a cafe. I wouldn't worry about the place as generally you can always find some areas that you will like whereeve you go!
with regards what spf to use i would say you should definately start with a high one as august is the hottest time of year for spain and believe me it can get unbearable at points!!! after the first couple of days if you haven't burnt then im sure you'll be ok to start using a lower spf. oh and if you find yourself feeling dizzy or really dehydrated then as well as drinking lots of water it would be a good idea to take salt tablets because they help you to conserve water, its the only thing that helped my gran last out last summer, usually they come over here for the month.
the main thing is to just go and relax and enjoy whatever you are met with, i'm sure you'll have a fab time i'm quite jealous really :tongue:
i'll shut up now after all that

just wanted to say, thanks for the reply... :smile:
Reply 36
Oldly enough, my mate is going to Spain in afew hours. She has to get up at 2am for the plane.
Reply 37
Dude
Oldly enough, my mate is going to Spain in afew hours. She has to get up at 2am for the plane.

2am?! I had to get up at 3am once :frown: , i hated it! Luckily, I don't have to get up early this time! :smile:
Reply 38
your welcome, just hope it actually made some sense, which is unusual for moi!!!
hmmm i'm so jealous of all you people going out, its so nice and warm at this time!!! we were thinking of just going next week for a few days but i went and got a job before we thought, silly me :smile:
anyway i hope you all enjoy it out there and any other questions that i may, somehow, be able to help with i would be happy to try and answer.
Reply 39
hmmm don't you just love the early morning flights!!! hehe we always try to go monarch if its good value because they only do two flights a day one in the morning and one in the afternoon, nice and civilised!!! but i used to like getting up in the middle of the night it was all part of the excitement of going on holiday, then again i always was on odd child :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending