Ministry of Defence (MoD) DE&S apprenticeship 2016 Watch

helloworldd
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi has anyone applied for the MoD DE&S apprenticeship 2016? I had tests last week and they said they will get in touch in 2-3 weeks about who have made it to the interview stage.

How did other people who came find it? I found some of the questions tricky

I also do not know how the levels for the AQA maths and english tests we did works
helloworldd
Rep:
?
Ahh I must have done quite poorly then because I remember for the Maths one I got Level 1 and for the English I got Level 2. Hmm which is weird coz I got really good A-level results

I never thought someone would reply to the thread! Thank you very much

Well done on getting a conditional offer!! Unfortunately I didn't get through. I emailed them asking for the state of my application (because I had to reply to an offer I had received elsewhere) but they replied saying that they won't take it any further.
I've noticed the places I applied for, when I email them asking for an update (like 3 months after I sent my application) they reply relatively quickly saying I've been unsuccessful or they won't take my application further. Oh well, I've secured an offer with another company so thank god for that

Do you mind me asking what you currently do?
helloworldd
Rep:
?
Unfortunately I dont know how I did on the paper tests, although I was quite confident that I had done somewhat well. I think that since they have loads of applicants for the post, they took the first chance they had to reject someone and hence reduce the workload.

I completely understand you! I had been looking all over as well for people who had applied for the role! The only one I could find was for the Fast Track/Stream but that didn't really count

I applied to quite a few as well (one of them was Rolls Royce), got called to interviews but was rejected because of the competitiveness. I'm happy for you that you're getting the chance to do something you've been interested in since you were 16! At the moment I'm still not sure what I really want to work in but I've been accepted on an apprenticeship at Schneider Electric. I'm gonna see where that takes me
Advertisement
Jaacklaar
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey,

I also got a provisional offer from the MoD, however I have not heard anything from them since sending my medical questionaire and the national security vetting - I hope we can get a response from them soon saying we have secured the apprenticeship

It seems bizarre how they are leaving it this long and this close to the start date, but I'm sure it's all down to the lengthy process of going through all our details
Jaacklaar
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yeah I hope everything is all okay, and that our full offers given to us soon - but I also do understand that they have to check every little detail..

I haven't spoken to anyone else who has been given a provisional offer, so it's just you and I so far

I have applied for Bristol as I live there hopefully come September I'll get to meet you!!
Advertisement
helloworldd
Rep:
?
I'm really happy for you guys that things seem to be going well for this apprenticeship! I wish you all the very best

I'm still a bit disappointed that I wasn't accepted (because I asked for an update..?) however I was successful in securing an apprenticeship elsewhere so I am not really complaining haha

Cheers and good luck for your new careers guys!!
4200peck
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi All,

I'm glad I've found this post, I seem to be in the same position as you guys. Has anyone heard anything more yet? Has anyone applied for Plymouth?

Thanks - Mike
Advertisement
Nowellsmith
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by 4200peck)
Hi All,

I'm glad I've found this post, I seem to be in the same position as you guys. Has anyone heard anything more yet? Has anyone applied for Plymouth?

Thanks - Mike
Hey Mike,

I got a provisional offer last week for Plymouth! As I was in reserve! Very last minute exciting news! I guess I'll be seeing you on the 8th!

-Chris
Leightonc
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi guys! Could any of you let me know if there is live in accommodation for these apprenticeship's or do you have to live in bristol or Plymouth to apply? Only because I live 4 hours away from these places. Thank you so much!
Advertisement
Nowellsmith
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Leightonc)
Hi guys! Could any of you let me know if there is live in accommodation for these apprenticeship's or do you have to live in bristol or Plymouth to apply? Only because I live 4 hours away from these places. Thank you so much!
Hey there! I'm currently a phase one on the Plymouth apprentiship. No accommodation is provided you would have to find and fund your own unfortunately, but it is worth it!

Chris
Jaacklaar
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi,

I'm a phase one at Bristol, no accomadtion is provided, but there are plenty of rooms up for personal rent around abbey wood - you'll be looking at between £300-400 a month, but transport to the college is free on behalf of the MoD

Hope this helps
Advertisement
Grim_Squeaker
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Leightonc)
Sadly you would have to relocate and move to Plymouth or Bristol yes. However, in the case of Plymouth at least, I have found rents to be reasonable if you have a good look round and the annual wage you recieve is sufficient to allow you to afford to live.

I relocated myself as I was about 5 hours away.
Jaacklaar
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi there,

I have also been given a provisional offer for the apprenticeship - however I have heard nothing back from them since the start of June - I have done all medical questionairs and the security vetting too.

I'm just curious to find out when we are being told if we start or not in September
Advertisement
Baz1977
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi my son is due to take the test next week he has been unsuccessful for other engineering apprentiships as he failed the tests but did well in his GCSE exams.. any tips would be appreciated 🙂
Jaacklaar
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello,The tests will cover L2 Functional Skills Mathematics and English - as well as a section on mechanical principles. With the Mathematics it is simple questions, all which can be done without the need for a calculator (although it was over two years ago now). The English side of the test it mainly covers analysing small segments of text to provide answers to questions, as well as correcting grammar and punctuation - all very simple stuff. With the mechanical principles side of the testing they had a focus on simple movement of gears to find out which gear in a series will rotate either CW or ACW etc - again pretty simple. For all parts of these testings there are many resources online which is useful revision material, however due to the testing being based around L2 Functional Skills they are pretty straightforward, and as your son has done well in his GCSE’s he should be okay. I wish your son the best of luck, the apprenticeship is brilliant and has provided me with many experiences which will ultimately benefit me once I have finished the apprenticeship. PS - if there are any questions please feel free to reply on here and I will get back to you.
beehall
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello
I did the assessment in january and it isn’t too bad too bad. The mechanical test ha logic and electrical questions too. If your son did GCSE physics he will be fine! If not it’s mostly common sense. I didn’t do GCSE physics but still managed to get through that test. Make sure he does all the questions, apparently a lot of people this year missed out a whole page.
The Maths is quite easy, you are given a calculator for some questions.
I found the English section quite difficult but still managed to proceed to an interview and I just got a provisional offer.
Just take a look at functional skills, he will need to get a level 2 but I’m sure he will be fine.
XavTay
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hello anyone. I was just wondering about how long after the security vetting we find out about our apprenticeships. Very keen to get the ball rolling
Advertisement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (11)
5.79%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (105)
55.26%
No (74)
38.95%

Watched Threads