Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I want to go to UCL. I know that UCL likes to have a variety of subjects, so basically they prefer people who don't do just three sciences. I want to study Chemistry. I do Chemistry, Biology and Maths (and Physics, but I'm dropping it) at A level because I think they're all pretty essential to Chemistry (physics would be needed for physical chemistry and biology for biochemistry and maths is pretty obvious). How strict are UCL with the "variety of subjects at A level" rule? Do you think I'm disadvantaged? Should I still apply?

ReputationRep:
    Of course you should still apply! What course are you thinking of as some courses are a lot more competitive than others? Why not consider doing an EPQ then you can still show that you have breadth and can write essays

ReputationRep:
    You should definitely still apply. Remember, your personal statement as well as what your teachers say in their references matters a lot and sometimes will go even beyond what subjects you've studied as long as the uni doesn't ask for specific a levels for the course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haes)
    I want to go to UCL. I know that UCL likes to have a variety of subjects, so basically they prefer people who don't do just three sciences. I want to study Chemistry. I do Chemistry, Biology and Maths (and Physics, but I'm dropping it) at A level because I think they're all pretty essential to Chemistry (physics would be needed for physical chemistry and biology for biochemistry and maths is pretty obvious). How strict are UCL with the "variety of subjects at A level" rule? Do you think I'm disadvantaged? Should I still apply?
    Not sure where you got this information from but it's wrong - they only care about A Levels relevant to the subject you want to study. With yours, you will be fine. If anything you have an advantage over people applying with just 2 sciences/maths at A Level.

You said it yourself, the other subjects you're doing will be useful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haes)
    Do you have a modern foreign language at GCSE? That's also an entry requirement for all courses at UCL

(Original post by super_kawaii)
    Do you have a modern foreign language at GCSE? That's also an entry requirement for all courses at UCL
    Yes I do! Thanks!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.