Turn on thread page Beta

International Relations - Is the UN an outdated institution ? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Something Gnostic's Back said in the sticky about the UN Charter got me thinking. Is it an outdated institution if 2 of it's major players (UK/US) can flagrently ignore resolutions and proposals? and is it time to replace it, and if so with what ?

ReputationRep:
    I think the idea of having a forum for countries to discuss and enforce laws is more important than ever before. If anything good has come from recent events, maybe it needs a rethink on how it can enforce itself a bit more.

ReputationRep:
    The UN cannot be reformed or strengthened- anything which would weaken the power of any permanent member of the Security Council would be vetoed. It's all there is and we've got to make do with it as it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tkfmbp)
    Something Gnostic's Back said in the sticky about the UN Charter got me thinking. Is it an outdated institution if 2 of it's major players (UK/US) can flagrently ignore resolutions and proposals? and is it time to replace it, and if so with what ?
    It doesn't matter what you replace it with. If the US, and to some measure the UK, aren't the ones running it, then it will be classed as terrorism and the US will put their own institution in place on the UN. ****ed if you do and ****ed if you don't really. The good old American maxim when explaining things to the rest of us peasants in the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tkfmbp)
    replace it. but with nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    It doesn't matter what you replace it with. If the US, and to some measure the UK, aren't the ones running it, then it will be classed as terrorism and the US will put their own institution in place on the UN.
    so whats your problem with it now then?

ReputationRep:
    UN does a good enough job already on some things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by operato)
    UN does a good enough job already on some things.
    i cant think of any, but youre probably right.

ReputationRep:
    I hope it doesn't remain too outdated if it is, because I eventually want to work in it

ReputationRep:
    The UN is a joke really, america doesnt listen to/care about it so why should anyone else? The recent conflict in Iraq really was just one big america piss take..

ReputationRep:
    I think the only way for the UN to be taken seriously is if it had its own small standing army of elities from around the world rather than having to loan troops from nations to go on peacekeeping.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    so whats your problem with it now then?
    Settle petal. The fact is that the US proved by the invasion of Iraq that the UN's decision wasn't final. Yet that is the purpose of the UN is it not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Settle petal. The fact is that the US proved by the invasion of Iraq that the UN's decision wasn't final. Yet that is the purpose of the UN is it not?
    i meant, 'so as of now, what do you find wrong?'. i hardly believe the US is running the UN for the obvious reasons.

ReputationRep:
    i meant, 'so as of now, what do you find wrong?'. i hardly believe the US is running the UN for the obvious reasons.
    Sorry, I was referring to the suggestion of replacing the UN. No matter what it was replaced with, there would be a few countries who would not participate fully unless the new institution served only to help only those countries.

ReputationRep:
    i cant think of any, but youre probably right.
    how about all the peace keeping missions it takes on to improve the qulatiy of life in a large number of places, its resolutions on human rights in attempting to persuade governments to improve, the fact that as a forum it allows countries to discover other countries motivites in a "neutral" environment ect.

ReputationRep:
    Do you deny that the UN panders to American wants?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    how about all the peace keeping missions it takes on to improve the qulatiy of life in a large number of places, its resolutions on human rights in attempting to persuade governments to improve, the fact that as a forum it allows countries to discover other countries motivites in a "neutral" environment ect.
    I'd have to agree with that. The UN certainly serves a valuable purpose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Do you deny that the UN panders to American wants?
    yes.

ReputationRep:
    yes.
    Please explain. It was the American government who led the charge for all the weapons inspectors to go into Iraq in the 90s after all. Though Kofi Annan(sp) was the successful one, much to the dislike of the current American President.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Please explain. It was the American government who led the charge for all the weapons inspectors to go into Iraq in the 90s after all. Though Kofi Annan(sp) was the successful one, much to the dislike of the current American President.
    if you have to go back to the 90s to find a US-led UN motion then i dont need to.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.