Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What research do you when buying your first car? watch

ReputationRep:
    I passed early May, I have been driving in quiet street using my Dad's car (him in passenger seat). I am going to get insured with his car most likely. But even so, it would be good to look at some cars, see what I should look for in one when I eventually buy one. But I have no idea what to do, where to look, what to look for. All I know is, the lower the mileage the better, even though it will be more expensive. What do you do when researching to buy your first car?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Not what you were asking... but if you're driving your Dad's car you should be insured on it already...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dusky Mauve)
    Not what you were asking... but if you're driving your Dad's car you should be insured on it already...
    Oh apologies. I will get insured on his car. But he told me to do some research anyway about cars so thought I would ask here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mumford & Dragons)
    Oh apologies. I will get insured on his car. But he told me to do some research anyway about cars so thought I would ask here
    No I'm saying that you've been driving it already so you should already be insured on it.

ReputationRep:
    I guess as a new driver, the most expense is going to be insurance.

Look at what most new drivers choose. Everybody fancies some powerful glossy thing but the insurance might bankrupt you.

Mileage isn't everything. A car used once a week for shopping will age quicker than one used daily for journals that heat the oil properly and avoid condenstation issues.

Spare parts prices/ availability of scrap spares also figures.
    Buy a weird colour import and any bodywork repair is expensive.
    Buy a standard fiesta or corsa and enough get wrapped around trees that things like a spare door can be far cheaper than a fixed bodywork repair.

Think about what mileage you'd do.

In general a cheap runaround is a better bet than an expensive one

I made a mistake with my present car. The woman who owned it used it pretty much only for the school run. Luckily the dealer who sold it to me agreed to get the problem sorted but the work cost £1k ( he paid) I didn't do enough research on engine type - it was designed for long motorway journeys not short runs

It is fine now but I have to run it every week up a couple of motorway junctions at high revs to blow the crud out of the engine

ReputationRep:
    Things I researched :-

1) Where and how much it would cost to park the car.
    2) Cost to insure it.
    3) Common faults and how to get around to fixing it.
    4) How expensive were the common parts, lucky my first car was an Austin and parts were aplenty and cheap too.
    5) Whether the driving position was something I was comfortable with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alfissti)
    Things I researched :-

1) Where and how much it would cost to park the car.
    2) Cost to insure it.
    3) Common faults and how to get around to fixing it.
    4) How expensive were the common parts, lucky my first car was an Austin and parts were aplenty and cheap too.
    5) Whether the driving position was something I was comfortable with.
    Pretty much this tbh. Also, Id like to add I always go for JApanese/German cars. The Japs generally manage to load in more stuff in their cars tho! My current car is a Prius, and yes I do have a batter, but I figured that it's a cost/ benefit thing. I mean these batteries have been known to last near 1,000,000 miles so..yeah, and there's generally just less stuff to go wrong with em really

Basically... Jap cars are amazing!

ReputationRep:
    Ford fiesta

ReputationRep:
    If you look at the description there should be a pussy magnet scale

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by domonict)
    I guess as a new driver, the most expense is going to be insurance.

Look at what most new drivers choose. Everybody fancies some powerful glossy thing but the insurance might bankrupt you.

Mileage isn't everything. A car used once a week for shopping will age quicker than one used daily for journals that heat the oil properly and avoid condenstation issues.

Spare parts prices/ availability of scrap spares also figures.
    Buy a weird colour import and any bodywork repair is expensive.
    Buy a standard fiesta or corsa and enough get wrapped around trees that things like a spare door can be far cheaper than a fixed bodywork repair.

Think about what mileage you'd do.

In general a cheap runaround is a better bet than an expensive one

I made a mistake with my present car. The woman who owned it used it pretty much only for the school run. Luckily the dealer who sold it to me agreed to get the problem sorted but the work cost £1k ( he paid) I didn't do enough research on engine type - it was designed for long motorway journeys not short runs

It is fine now but I have to run it every week up a couple of motorway junctions at high revs to blow the crud out of the engine
    Really? That's interesting....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alextaylor6)
    If you look at the description there should be a pussy magnet scale
    Lol Id agree with this

(Original post by Silver Arrow)
    Really? That's interesting....
    Very much YES. The Prius I bought has done... around 160,000 miles on it, but hey it's a freaking Prius

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.