The Student Room Group

What gcse maths revision books are good (Specifically for problem solving)

I am looking to improve my maths as we have just completed a full set of the edexcel new 9-1 specimen papers for mocks and I found many questions difficult as there was a heavy focus on problem solving. Are there any good books that help with this sort of thing for edexcel? I already have the CGP guide and have heard about edexcels own books but apparently they are useless.
Original post by xxNoodlezxx
I am looking to improve my maths as we have just completed a full set of the edexcel new 9-1 specimen papers for mocks and I found many questions difficult as there was a heavy focus on problem solving. Are there any good books that help with this sort of thing for edexcel? I already have the CGP guide and have heard about edexcels own books but apparently they are useless.

You could try the new gcse 9-1 revision guide or the IGCSE revision guides. My best advice is to practice all the papers you've got at least twice,and practice any IGCSE,Specimen Mock papers. Try using mymaths as they have updated the site for 9-1 GCSE material and use mathswatch.

Hope that helps:biggrin:
Original post by maruchan
You could try the new gcse 9-1 revision guide or the IGCSE revision guides. My best advice is to practice all the papers you've got at least twice,and practice any IGCSE,Specimen Mock papers. Try using mymaths as they have updated the site for 9-1 GCSE material and use mathswatch.

Hope that helps:biggrin:

Thanks so much! :h:
Thanks so much! :h:

That's okay. Good luck with your studies:smile:
Reply 4

I am also sitting the new 9-1 maths exam next year and have the Edexcel 9-1 revision guide (I'm doing the foundation paper so use the foundation guide)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/REVISE-Edexcel-Mathematics-Foundation-Revision/dp/1447988043/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467400040&sr=8-1&keywords=edexcel+foundation+maths - This is a link to the foundation revision guide for Edexcel. If you go to shops like whsmith or waterstones you will be able to find the Higher one as well, as well as the revision workbook as well.

You might find these helpful : http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/GCSE/mathematics/2015/exam-materials/GCSE-9-1-Maths-Specimen-Papers-Set-2.pdf
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jack_Tomlin
I am also sitting the new 9-1 maths exam next year and have the Edexcel 9-1 revision guide (I'm doing the foundation paper so use the foundation guide)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/REVISE-Edexcel-Mathematics-Foundation-Revision/dp/1447988043/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467400040&sr=8-1&keywords=edexcel+foundation+maths - This is a link to the foundation revision guide for Edexcel. If you go to shops like whsmith or waterstones you will be able to find the Higher one as well, as well as the revision workbook as well.

Thank you! :smile: are the edexcel books good? As I have heard mixed reviews :h:
Reply 6
Thank you! :smile: are the edexcel books good? As I have heard mixed reviews :h:

Yes they are good for just practising a few questions now and again but you will probably need to use your school textbook as well if you have one
Original post by Jack_Tomlin
Yes they are good for just practising a few questions now and again but you will probably need to use your school textbook as well if you have one

Ok :biggrin: thank you
I did my GCSEs this year so they were a bit different to yours. I didn't find past papers very helpful. I got the CGP revision guide and workbook for my course also they do a CD that has tutorials and stuff those were quite useful. I also got the Letts GCSE maths to A* in a week, that title is an exaggeration but it did help as it had timed exercises to do every day for a week and it covered most topics on the syllabus and it is for all exam boards so I liked it. To practice specific topics I normally looked on the internet for questions to print out and do, the castle school maths website is quite good as it has questions arranged into different topics. I found it so useful. As well as mathsaurus.
Original post by niv1234
I did my GCSEs this year so they were a bit different to yours. I didn't find past papers very helpful. I got the CGP revision guide and workbook for my course also they do a CD that has tutorials and stuff those were quite useful. I also got the Letts GCSE maths to A* in a week, that title is an exaggeration but it did help as it had timed exercises to do every day for a week and it covered most topics on the syllabus and it is for all exam boards so I liked it. To practice specific topics I normally looked on the internet for questions to print out and do, the castle school maths website is quite good as it has questions arranged into different topics. I found it so useful. As well as mathsaurus.

Thank you so much! :biggrin:
Thank you so much! :biggrin:

Your welcome

Good luck with everything :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest