Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have a place at Lancaster uni and am doing my accommodation and know that the townhouses are good. I was originally at Leicester university but left because my accommodation was a half empty house of 24 with people who never spoke to each other because they were all medics, internationals and gender separated floors. Also because it was a house I couldn't go to any other flats to speak to others which worries me about the townhouses. So can you realistically move between the townhouses without having to go outside and would it be better to go somewhere like county main or George fox in case of getting a flat that doesn't speak? My other option would be Fylde basic onsuite.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I haven't lived in a townhouse- but they're all very close together and accessible from what I can tell. You will have to go outside to get from one to the other, but it really isn't much of a distance. Town houses are also really popular- they tend to fill up quite quickly, so chances are your house shouldn't be half empty- so i'm sure you'll find a few people to talk too
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    You can't go between each townhouse without going outside. You also need a key to get into the each townhouse and for security reasons your key will only work in your townhouse and for your room.

The floors have four people on each and there's no locked doors between the floors. They're not normally gender segregated although when I lived in one they did put all the lads on one side of the building and the lasses on the other. It did mean that you shared the bathroom with someone of the same sex which I guess is reasonable.

All of the colleges are pretty similar in terms of the kinds of people that lived there although you could guarantee to meet the most interesting people in Ash House, which was by far the cheapest accommodation on campus. Unfortunately the university decided it was too poor quality to rent to students any more. It's pretty much pot luck whether you get a quiet flat of anti social people or party-hard-every-day types. I think you get a bit of choice over this but I can't remember as it was so long since I applied for on campus accommodation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sam-s-music)
    Hi, I have a place at Lancaster uni and am doing my accommodation and know that the townhouses are good. I was originally at Leicester university but left because my accommodation was a half empty house of 24 with people who never spoke to each other because they were all medics, internationals and gender separated floors. Also because it was a house I couldn't go to any other flats to speak to others which worries me about the townhouses. So can you realistically move between the townhouses without having to go outside and would it be better to go somewhere like county main or George fox in case of getting a flat that doesn't speak? My other option would be Fylde basic onsuite.
    Thanks!
    Hi! I don't know wether you have applied yet, but the town houses are always full unless someone dropout during the year. They are very popular and usually attract very social people. You can't go into other townhouses without a key, it's house like, for security reasons. There are 12 people in the house though so you should get one with at least a few people. As for the free movement thing, it's up to the people living in the townhouses and flats as to wether you can go in. They all need a key to enter them. What did you end up going for?

ReputationRep:
    I havent decided yet :/ do the houses talk to each other much?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sam-s-music)
    I havent decided yet :/ do the houses talk to each other much?
    Depends entirely on the people in the houses. Several people in my townhouse were very friendly with the people in one of the neighbouring townhouses. But none of us ever spoke to the people in the townhouse on the other side.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.