Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    http://www.straitstimes.com/world/eu...g-party-leader

WARSAW (AFP) - Poland would like to see Britain hold a second in-out referendum on EU membership, the leader of the country's ruling party said Monday, warning however the bloc would have to "radically change" for Britons to want to return.

"Our idea for today... foresees efforts aimed at making Britain return, including a second referendum," Poland's powerful right-wing leader Jaroslaw Kaczynski said.

But, he cautioned, the "EU would have to radically change" for this scenario to be feasible. "Britain today risks falling apart", he added, quoted by the Polish PAP news agency.

Mr Kaczynski is the first European leader to make an outright call for a second referendum. In contrast, other leaders in the bloc have pressured London for a speedy divorce.

Although he holds no Cabinet post, as the leader of the governing populist Law and Justice (PiS) party, Mr Kaczynski is widely regarded as the government's real powerbroker. The government swept to power in elections last October on an anti-migrant and populist spending platform.

A strong opponent of European federalism, Mr Kaczynski insists that Britain's vote to leave meant it was time for a "new European treaty" to guarantee the rights of nation states.

Describing Brexit as something "very bad", Mr Kaczynski also warned on Monday that pushing ahead with the old Franco-German model of ever-closer political and economic integration could "end in catastrophe".

He called for EU institutional reforms that would make Europe "a superpower," but based on a confederation of nation states under a president in charge of a powerful military.

ReputationRep:
    I would accept a European federation if this was a new idea or relationship but given the track record of deluded and power hungry bureaucrats in Brussels who cosy up to corporates, not a chance now. Signing up to that would be like going from one abusive partner to another. No thanks. We deserve better.

ReputationRep:
    alongside the millions of brits who supported the petition but hey, why not make a thread and single out the polish one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by welshiee)
    I would accept a European federation if this was a new idea or relationship but given the track record of deluded and power hungry bureaucrats in Brussels who cosy up to corporates, not a chance now. Signing up to that would be like going from one abusive partner to another. No thanks. We deserve better.
    I'm not surprised he's doing this. Skilled Polish workers definitely help our economy, but their country benefits more from our being in the EU than most of the other ones. Not to mention Poland's convenient vetoing of David Cameron's proposed changes:facepalm:

http://www.voanews.com/content/polan...a/3163198.html

(Original post by drogon)
    alongside the millions of brits who supported the petition but hey, why not make a thread and single out the polish one.
    Yes, there aren't any threads on the 2nd referendum petition right now.

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    There will be no second referendum. The people have voted, the will of the people will be accepted.

The petitions have been investigated for fraud I think, as many people were using multiple email addresses to bump up the petition, and some who were not in Britain or of British nationality were signing the petition which makes it invalid. Also, the fact that David Cameron has resigned suggests that we will in fact be leaving the EU, period. Deal with it

I may or may not agree with the overall decision, but we live in a liberal and pluralistic democracy and the voice of the people must be heard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lulucoco98)
    There will be no second referendum. The people have voted, the will of the people will be accepted.

The petitions have been investigated for fraud I think, as many people were using multiple email addresses to bump up the petition, and some who were not in Britain or of British nationality were signing the petition which makes it invalid. Also, the fact that David Cameron has resigned suggests that we will in fact be leaving the EU, period. Deal with it

I may or may not agree with the overall decision, but we live in a liberal and pluralistic democracy and the voice of the people must be heard.
    Yeah, there was a 4chan prank which added a fair few "signatures" too :rofl: All you need to "sign" the petition is an email address and a name.

I'm interested to see what people think of Poland in particular saying this. Especially after, as stated in the article, most other leaders are pushing the UK to invoke Article 50.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Desi123)
    Yeah, there was a 4chan prank which added a fair few "signatures" too :rofl: All you need to "sign" the petition is an email address and a name.

I'm interested to see what people think of Poland in particular saying this. Especially after, as stated in the article, most other leaders are pushing the UK to invoke Article 50.
    Poland benefit immensely from the EU, so it is understandable why they would say this, but this is a British decision not a Polish one.

Britain, France and Germany are economically strong and are or (were) in Britains case) the economic backbone of the EU so that's why I think a lot of the leaders in Brussels are appearing quite angry and bitter.

ReputationRep:
    And a UK postcode

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lulucoco98)
    Poland benefit immensely from the EU, so it is understandable why they would say this, but this is a British decision not a Polish one.

Britain, France and Germany are economically strong and are or (were) in Britains case) the economic backbone of the EU so that's why I think a lot of the leaders in Brussels are appearing quite angry and bitter.
    Agreed. And, yes, that's true.

Some financial institutions may be moving staff to Paris/Frankfurt, so France and Germany could potentially benefit in that sense, but Morgan Stanley has already denied these claims and nobody has confirmed anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Roast)
    And a UK postcode
    https://twitter.com/ElContador2000/s...95294063497216

Also (drag this into another window to zoom)

ReputationRep:
    So what?

For an awful lot of people the whole point of voting to leave was so that random unknown politicians from foreign countries wouldn't dictate to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drogon)
    A petition were everyone around the world can sign it, pointless creating one in the first place

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    So what?

For an awful lot of people the whole point of voting to leave was so that random unknown politicians from foreign countries wouldn't dictate to them.
    Yes, good reminder of what we're leaving. As I said above, Poland also strongly opposed Cameron on his benefit reforms:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...Tusk-live.html

ReputationRep:
    Reason why hes in favor of this is so he can export the low skilled labour to the UK so Poland doesn't have to deal with it.

Same as every country.

When will people realise low skill is as bad as no skill and no country wants the labor. in 10-20 years time there is going to be no need for manual labor. darpa has fully walking robots now that can pick stuff up and put it on shelves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom_BCFC)
    A petition were everyone around the world can sign it, pointless creating one in the first place
    No its just british people who can sign it you need a valid british postcode

ReputationRep:
    Stay salty poland

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TercioOfParma)
    Stay salty poland
    Wonder what individual Poles think..

A good friend works at JP Morgan in London and actually supported Leave, but I have a Polish acquaintance from uni on FB and she's furious

ReputationRep:
    Wonder what individual Poles think..

A good friend works at JP Morgan in London and actually supported Leave, but I have a Polish acquaintance from uni on FB and she's furious
    Off hand comment, obviously poles aren't one monolithic entity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TercioOfParma)
    Off hand comment, obviously poles aren't one monolithic entity.
    Yeah, would be interesting to get viewpoints tho (the same way the BBC is doing with the British)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, would be interesting to get viewpoints tho (the same way the BBC is doing with the British)
    It would be.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.