Turn on thread page Beta

Biology or Human Biology? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of doing biology A Level and I have the choice between Biology of Human Biology, for those who don't know human bio is the same but I think you do a different module 2 and 5 but the others are the same. I probably find the human side more interesting that the plant stuff, but some people have said that people prefer stright biology. I'm not looking to go into a science degree at university, i'm doing it out of interest but I want biology to be one of my more "academic" A levels and I don't want people to think that human biology is a new "micky mouse" subject. Does anyone have any advice or experience with Human Biology??

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    This probably isn't very politically correct, but i think it might depend how "academic" you are. At my 6th form (which was HUGE, so gives a reasonable sample i think) most people who took straight Biology also did Chemistry or Maths whereas those doing Human Biology tended to do Sport & Media..

& the grades were significantly better in straight Biology. i know you didn't want to do a science degree, but i had a very intelligent friend (now doing Biochem at uni) who really regretted chosing human biology because apparently it was basically taught at C grade level - so he had to put in loads of extra effort to get a B! :rolleyes:

so, i'd recommend checking the results for both of the subjects at the school/6th form you're applying to?

oh & you still have to do plants in human biology apparently..which sounds like a con to me!

i never even considered human bio, TBH (even though i'm now doing medicine), just because biology is the more traditional option & seemed like the obvious choice.

hope this may help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LS.)
    We were told that Human Biology isn't accepted by all universities - but I'm not sure if this is just for certain subjects.
    I have heard this aswell but it really puzzels me because the majority of the course is the same it's just for AQA anyway you just swap over unit 2.
    The AS sylabus is below;
    Unit 1: (Biology and Human Biology) Molecules, Cells and Systems 35%
    Unit 2: (Biology only) Making use of Biology 35%
    Unit 3: (Human Biology only) Health and disease 35%
    Unit 4: (Biology and Human Biology) Teacher-assessed practical work. 30%

Although I enjoy biology I would much rather study Health and disease, but as you say some people consider human biology worth less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_1988)
    I have heard this aswell but it really puzzels me because the majority of the course is the same it's just for AQA anyway
    Same with OCR - we were told that the way they were doing the course (with the optional module they chose) it was almost identical to human biology - but it was the safer option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    This probably isn't very politically correct, but i think it might depend how "academic" you are. At my 6th form (which was HUGE, so gives a reasonable sample i think) most people who took straight Biology also did Chemistry or Maths whereas those doing Human Biology tended to do Sport & Media..

& the grades were significantly better in straight Biology. i know you didn't want to do a science degree, but i had a very intelligent friend (now doing Biochem at uni) who really regretted chosing human biology because apparently it was basically taught at C grade level - so he had to put in loads of extra effort to get a B! :rolleyes:

so, i'd recommend checking the results for both of the subjects at the school/6th form you're applying to?

oh & you still have to do plants in human biology apparently..which sounds like a con to me!

i never even considered human bio, TBH (even though i'm now doing medicine), just because biology is the more traditional option & seemed like the obvious choice.

hope this may help!
    Thanks, I'm hoping to go to Hills Road in cambrisge and it's pretty big, but as you say the better results were achieved in biology than Human Biology
    Results'02
    Human
    A B C D E U Total
    13 16 14 7 4 1 55
    Biology
    70 39 26 12 10 2 159

i think maybe I will opt for biology, after all the majority of it is the same and I feel I need to do another more academic A level, I'm looking to combine it with Double Maths, Economics and Music and seeing as music is my slightly more easy-going subject I feel biology would be the better bet.

thanks

ReputationRep:
    They really don't differ very much as far as course content goes. Human biology looks at the human immune system in much greater detail in a certain module, and although the module names are different much of the content is the same. For the synoptic paper, Human Biology focuses on the human reproductive system and standard Biology focuses on animals (specifically cows if I can remember correctly..).

I did Human Biology and was told by 1 univeristy that it was actually valued more highly, as they viewed it as a harder subject, and from what I could see the reproductive system looked more complex than the cow's reticulum.. Subjective views though..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris_)
    They really don't differ very much as far as course content goes. Human biology looks at the human immune system in much greater detail in a certain module, and although the module names are different much of the content is the same. For the synoptic paper, Human Biology focuses on the human reproductive system and standard Biology focuses on animals (specifically cows if I can remember correctly..).

I did Human Biology and was told by 1 univeristy that it was actually valued more highly, as they viewed it as a harder subject, and from what I could see the reproductive system looked more complex than the cow's reticulum.. Subjective views though..
    Thanks for that, it's interesting to see how different universities seem to hold different ideas of it, but I just don't want people to think it is kind of an "easy" option biology, I know I shouldn't care what others think about it, but I do!

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure a medical schools would look at Biology and Human Biology at the same 'academic level.'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_1988)
    I'm thinking of doing biology A Level and I have the choice between Biology of Human Biology, for those who don't know human bio is the same but I think you do a different module 2 and 5 but the others are the same. I probably find the human side more interesting that the plant stuff, but some people have said that people prefer stright biology. I'm not looking to go into a science degree at university, i'm doing it out of interest but I want biology to be one of my more "academic" A levels and I don't want people to think that human biology is a new "micky mouse" subject. Does anyone have any advice or experience with Human Biology??

Thanks
    Human Biology covers virtually the same content as Biology. There are not as many revision books for it because it seems less popular.

ReputationRep:
    General biology seems a good bet. The course content covers essentials such as enzymes and cells, as well as genetics, which are all stemming from human biology. The best of both worlds.

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking Human Biology and I am currently pretty happy about it, its really easy and more related to daily life... looking at the syllabuses i believe i would do worse in Biology than Human Biology... thats me though

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.