Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I was wondering if there has been anyone else on this forum who's experienced difficulties with 'writing too much' in exams? Particularly AS and A levels with the AQA exam board?

I tend to do quite a lot of extra curricular reading and debating on the topics I have chosen as my AS/A levels, and so I end up having quite a lot of general knowledge in the topics. Before the exams I read through the text books and learn the keywords/buzzwords, technicalities and theories by heart, so I do end up writing all that is needed in the exams, not so much off topic things, and I always apply them and bring them back to the question being asked (perhaps why I write so much too).

My answer structures are not terribly clear because I usually give around 10 arguments in larger questions when I'm required to give only 3. I explain almost every one of them. Thus, the paragraphs, while clearly spaced in between and ordered, might be too packed with a wide array of explanations and arguments.

As I sit the exams on a computer, I have time to write an immense amount; legibly too. Considering the fact that AQA examiners are not paid much, and in the AS levels they hire maths teachers to correct economics papers, for example, I think I'm at a huge risk of having all of my large walls cut across due to, well, lack of time on the part of the examiners.

All of my teachers tell me that whatever I write in the answers is correct and does often apply to the question. I write so much it's impossible to not get full marks if properly corrected. And yet I got a C last year in Economics AQA (AS). Sat a CIE Economics exam, and I got 90% (as it cost me almost 200 pounds to enroll for). Clearly there's a certain huge difference in the quality of marking.

Is it possible that due to the fact that teachers get paid the same amount per paper that they may simply not read the 22 pages I wrote in my macroeconomics A level exam, for example? Perhaps also due to the fact that most of my arguments rarely feature in the mark scheme, although they do still apply and the mark schemes do say 'or any other applicable arguments and logical train of thoughts' or something to that effect.

Thank you for your time and consideration! Definitely quite the wall of text, so thank you if you take the time to read through and post your opinions.

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually very interested to find out the outcome of this. I totally agree that some examiners would skip over work. I also find that some of my teachers marked my mock strictly by the mark scheme.. This leads to a lower mark. However, my biology teacher is an actual examiner for an exam board and she accepts alternative responses. I think that it depends on how long the examiner has been marking- more experience means better marking. New examiners may be worried about not marking correctly and therefore only accept answers on the mark scheme.Well done on getting that 90% and hope you don't get unfair examiners because you are obviously really intelligent and deserve a good grade.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemistrynerd13)
    I'm actually very interested to find out the outcome of this. I totally agree that some examiners would skip over work. I also find that some of my teachers marked my mock strictly by the mark scheme.. This leads to a lower mark. However, my biology teacher is an actual examiner for an exam board and she accepts alternative responses. I think that it depends on how long the examiner has been marking- more experience means better marking. New examiners may be worried about not marking correctly and therefore only accept answers on the mark scheme.Well done on getting that 90% and hope you don't get unfair examiners because you are obviously really intelligent and deserve a good grade.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you very much for your kind words!

I really do hope you achieve the grades you need as well! We can only really hope at this point.

I doubt that if I were to voice my concerns in an email to AQA, I'd get anything other than canned responses. I suppose it would be worth a try, though.

And yeah I do think it makes plenty of sense; I suppose that those who read a bit too much extra curricular stuff and don't try and predict the mark schemes to the letter in the exams have as their only hope more experienced markers who actually teach the stuff.

Last year I've gotten As on the exams I hated, and Cs on those I loved. On those I liked, I wrote a lot, and even if it was answering the question, it was simply too much for examiners to read through, despite using the correct terminology and theories, etc. On those I didn't like, I did not have much extra curricular knowledge about it so I just stuck to the textbook stuff I had read.

One of my teachers had also marked one of my past papers as a C (Microeconomics) and then I get an A in the CIE exam as opposed to the C in the AQA one.

Well, either way, once again, good luck with your results!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!! I'm actually going to ask my biology teacher and email the exam board to make sure that marking is fair. I would always try to research topics in more detail than in class... Please don't be discouraged to do this and enjoy summer!!😊

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.