Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does being in care change the likelihood of one going into a top university. also if I had underperformed in a unit of an exam and didn't get the predicted grade I needed for one how would that affect my chances now into getting into an Oxbridge uni.
    Thanks, all the help is appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Whilst being in care may not increase the likelihood per se, it is used by both universities (as well as others) as a 'flag' when they consider your individual circumstances. To quote Cambridge's page on use of contextual data,
    We flag applications when time has been spent in local authority care because of research that has demonstrated that looked-after children may experience educational disadvantage.
    This may be used to justify some of your results being lower than (Cambridge's) average. (The entire page is worth a read - it sets out what the six flags are and how they are used in the application.)
    A similar page from Oxford can be found here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SosbanFach)
    Whilst being in care may not increase the likelihood per se, it is used by both universities (as well as others) as a 'flag' when they consider your individual circumstances. To quote Cambridge's page on use of contextual data,

This may be used to justify some of your results being lower than (Cambridge's) average. (The entire page is worth a read - it sets out what the six flags are and how they are used in the application.)
    A similar page from Oxford can be found here.
    Thank you very much for replying, will definitely look!
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by CocoPoppp)
    Does being in care change the likelihood of one going into a top university. also if I had underperformed in a unit of an exam and didn't get the predicted grade I needed for one how would that affect my chances now into getting into an Oxbridge uni.
    Thanks, all the help is appreciated
    The poster above has replied re the contextual aspect of your offer.

Also, having 1 (or even 2) poor modules may not be a disaster. Cambridge, for one, understands that everyone can have an "off" day.

What course are you considering?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    The poster above has replied re the contextual aspect of your offer.

Also, having 1 (or even 2) poor modules may not be a disaster. Cambridge, for one, understands that everyone can have an "off" day.

What course are you considering?
    Okay well that is more assuring to hear.
    And hopefully a law course, looking at Oxford though.
    Also thank you for taking your time to reply!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 27, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.