Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have been doing squats for a long time, however I always have trouble putting the bar on my back.

I prefer low bar over high bar but both feel so uncomftable. Is it simply me not having enough back muscle?

I always try to keep my back as tight as possible, but it just doesn't work. Like when I try low bar, it feel like im resting it on the bone of the rear delts, rather than muscle. Does that even make sense?

ReputationRep:
    Try using kettlebells instead of the bar, which are easier to balance on one's body. If you want a lot of weight, almost all gyms have kettlebells that are up to 32kg each, always use two. Weigh them on your biceps and shoulders with your fists under your chin.
    A proper squat should mostly include your glutieus working and none other part of the body burdened.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eleftheriadis)
    Try using kettlebells instead of the bar, which are easier to balance on one's body. If you want a lot of weight, almost all gyms have kettlebells that are up to 32kg each, always use two. Weigh them on your biceps and shoulders with your fists under your chin.
    A proper squat should mostly include your glutieus working and none other part of the body burdened.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)
    I have been doing squats for a long time, however I always have trouble putting the bar on my back.

I prefer low bar over high bar but both feel so uncomftable. Is it simply me not having enough back muscle?

I always try to keep my back as tight as possible, but it just doesn't work. Like when I try low bar, it feel like im resting it on the bone of the rear delts, rather than muscle. Does that even make sense?
    You possibly don't have enough muscle, but you haven't told us your bodyweight or the weight you're using on squats.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    You possibly don't have enough muscle, but you haven't told us your bodyweight or the weight you're using on squats.
    oh sorry 60kg on squats, I weigh around 68kg
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    It was somewhat uncomfortable for me too when I first started but I soon stopped noticing it, perhaps due to an increase in muscle mass.

If you're doing low bar, also see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT3C96ojEuA

ReputationRep:
    In the long term, get bigger. In the mean time make sure your grip is narrow enough that your lats are flexed and tighten your entire body performing the valsalva maneuver before you de-rack the bar.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Grab a video of yourself squatting, post it here in addition to Smacks advice. We can see if you're doing it properly

ReputationRep:
    just use that padding tube thing

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.