Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Please can someone draw the answer to Q2. I find the ms difficult to interpret.
    http://www.una.co.uk/Physics/Physics...QP%20Jun15.pdf

Thank you!!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by pippabethan)
    Please can someone draw the answer to Q2. I find the ms difficult to interpret.
    http://www.una.co.uk/Physics/Physics...QP%20Jun15.pdf

Thank you!!
    Let me see.

An alpha particle has a positive charge, the nucleus too. So, the alpha particle has to be distracted like the one which is shown on the picture. So ar, so good. But as the alpha particle has a lower (kinetic) energy, the particle has a lower velocity too. If the alpha particle has a lower velocity, the alpha particle is slower to past the nucleus, that is why the distraction by the nucleus has to be stronger, thus the line which has to be drawn is steeper. I suppose so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    Let me see.

An alpha particle has a positive charge, the nucleus too. So, the alpha particle has to be distracted like the one which is shown on the picture. So ar, so good. But as the alpha particle has a lower (kinetic) energy, the particle has a lower velocity too. If the alpha particle has a lower velocity, the alpha particle is slower to past the nucleus, that is why the distraction by the nucleus has to be stronger, thus the line which has to be drawn is steeper. I suppose so.
    Would you mind sketching it for me?

ReputationRep:
    The force due to the alpha nucleus acts significantly for a finite time (i.e the force is macroscopically significant for an amount of time for which the particle is in close approach to the alpha).
    If the particle is at higher speed -> Spends less time in close approach with the alpha
    Thus the change in momentum of the particle will be less
    (deltaP=F*deltat) as an approximation
    Thus the path will be less 'curved'.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone draw it?

ReputationRep:
    Can someone draw it?
    something like this imo
    Name:  ruth.PNG
Views: 63
Size:  2.1 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    something like this imo
    Name:  ruth.PNG
Views: 63
Size:  2.1 KB
    Thank you!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Would you mind sketching it for me?
    As far as I can see, another user did it. But if you are interest in another scatterings of alpha particles, here you are!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.