Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's the difference between CBL, PBL and enquiry based learning? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have heard that different universities offer different approaches to teaching medicine. I would like to know the difference between CBL, PBL and EBL (enquiry based learning), how much support you would get for each different one, whether they vary in difficulty and which universities offer each approach (especially the University of Leeds).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ECarr14)
    I have heard that different universities offer different approaches to teaching medicine. I would like to know the difference between CBL, PBL and EBL (enquiry based learning), how much support you would get for each different one, whether they vary in difficulty and which universities offer each approach (especially the University of Leeds).
    They're all practically the same (IMO). Just medical school rebranding of their course content.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 06shawm)
    They're all practically the same (IMO). Just medical school rebranding of their course content.
    ok, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    CBL = Computer based learning. So you get a module to read, then you get quizzes.
    PBL is more about group discussions, research, etc
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by ECarr14)
    They are all very similar approaches to course, and im my opinion there is very little difference between them other than their brand naming.

if you are being really picky to choose between them after knowing people who experience both it seems that CBL is more structured and pulls all parts of the curriculum together slightly better - it is really nice to focus on a real case (based on a body system) as it makes it much easier to consolidate.

I go to Cardiff and they use CBL, Manchester are big users of PBL, but other than that I really couldnt tell you, most universities tend to use an integrated approach.

in general CBL, PBL offer slightly less support and more independant learning compared to integrated courses. but you are still likely to have some lectures.

ReputationRep:
    CBL (Case-Based Learning), at least that is what it is at Cardiff (I'm a third year).

CBL is where you start with a case which is essentially a patient presenting. As a group you discuss what you think it might be and what the important parts of this case are, e.g. what is the relevant physiology, biochemistry, anatomy, pathology, and what are the relevant clinical components - differentials, investigations etc.

IMO it is a flawed system as so much of it is up to interpretation and one can easily feel isolated with the lack of lectures and practicals. Some people really like it though as it is a very independent approach, and you can take things in your own time etc.

I won't comment much on the others, but in general they are all much of a muchness.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Muppet Science)
    CBL (Case-Based Learning), at least that is what it is at Cardiff (I'm a third year).

CBL is where you start with a case which is essentially a patient presenting. As a group you discuss what you think it might be and what the important parts of this case are, e.g. what is the relevant physiology, biochemistry, anatomy, pathology, and what are the relevant clinical components - differentials, investigations etc.

IMO it is a flawed system as so much of it is up to interpretation and one can easily feel isolated with the lack of lectures and practicals. Some people really like it though as it is a very independent approach, and you can take things in your own time etc.

I won't comment much on the others, but in general they are all much of a muchness.
    I think with CBL your experience also depends on your group. I do admit that It for me was a strange way of learning to adjust to and I am not sure I quite mastered it in first year. But comparing this to a traditional course I would much prefer the method Cardiff use over 9-5 lectures each day.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.