Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ln[A] vs Time graph - how do I work out the rate constant k? watch

ReputationRep:
    How would you work out the rate constant for this reaction?
    I was given a table showing Time (min) and [A] mM.
    The answer sheet says that [A] vs T should be used to determine the order through half lives and that Ln[A] vs T should be used to work out k, but there was no explanation of how. I know it's a 1st order reaction from the answer sheet but not sure how this is known.

(I've only plotted the first 5 points from the data)

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Idk but if memory serves me right, I'd assume you deduce the order of the reaction with respect to [A]

Which i presume is 1st order? ( seen as the half lives are constant for A)

rate=k[A]

k= rate/[A]

[A] is the concentration of A at any given point

EDIT:
    , assuming you know the rate, use the algorithm I gave above, or you can work out the initial rate at t=0 and input it onto your rate equation OR you can:

input this into your calc

k=ln2/1/2t
    where 1/2t= half life of A (which i think is 15 seconds looking at your graph)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Petulia)
    xyz
    pree

ReputationRep:
    refresh
    reload my comment, I updated it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mercuryman)
    Idk but if memory serves me right, I'd assume you deduce the order of the reaction with respect to [A]

Which i presume is 1st order? ( seen as the half lives are constant for A)

rate=k[A]

k= rate/[A]

[A] is the concentration of A at any given point

EDIT:
    , assuming you know the rate, use the algorithm I gave above, or you can work out the initial rate at t=0 and input it onto your rate equation OR you can:

input this into your calc

k=ln2/1/2t
    where 1/2t= half life of A (which i think is 15 seconds looking at your graph)
    Do you have a textbook or website where this is explained in more detail?

And is that the same method as this:
    B The rate law for the reaction is thereforerate = k[N2O5]Calculating the rate constant is straightforward because we know that the slope of the plot of ln[A] versus t for a first-order reaction is −k. We can calculate the slope using any two points that lie on the line in the plot of ln[N2O5] versus t. Using the points for t = 0 and 3000 s,
    slope=ln[N2O5]3000−ln[N2O5]03000 s−0 s=(−4.756)−(−3.310)3000 s=−4.820×10−4 s−1

Thus k = 4.820 × 10−4 s−1.

That's what I found on this website: http://2012books.lardbucket.org/book...mine-rate.html

And what does it mean by the slope is -k for first orders?

ReputationRep:
    Do you have a textbook or website where this is explained in more detail?

And is that the same method as this:
    B The rate law for the reaction is thereforerate = k[N2O5]Calculating the rate constant is straightforward because we know that the slope of the plot of ln[A] versus t for a first-order reaction is −k. We can calculate the slope using any two points that lie on the line in the plot of ln[N2O5] versus t. Using the points for t = 0 and 3000 s,
    slope=ln[N2O5]3000−ln[N2O5]03000 s−0 s=(−4.756)−(−3.310)3000 s=−4.820×10−4 s−1

Thus k = 4.820 × 10−4 s−1.

That's what I found on this website: http://2012books.lardbucket.org/book...mine-rate.html

And what does it mean by the slope is -k for first orders?

What i meant was that there is a mathematical function that can be used to derive k.

k= t1/2 ÷ ln(2)

as long as you know the half life of a reactant and its order, working out k can take like 2 seconds.

In your link it tells you how to work out k from 0 and 2nd order reactants mathematically too, in case you didn't know.

And Im not sure on ln[X] graphs and -k values. I'll have a look at it though.

Hope I answered your query on k though.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.