Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

This summer I have 10 weeks of free time - after finishing my GCSEs I practically have no work. Therefore, I wanted to take up some hobbies, one of which I think is a good idea for fitness. I'm relatively skinny and quite tall (about 5ft 9). I think I'm going to start the Ice Cream fitness programme and get my dad to help out as he's into all that stuff.

Anyway, my question is: what advice do you have or any tips? I'm a complete newb and have never ever set foot in a gym so this should be fun

Also, I currently have a very bad diet which isn't very organised. What kind of diet is a good diet? Can you give examples for me?

Sorry for my lack of knowledge, I know it's annoying

I'm assuming you're a female, since you said 5'9 is quite tall, but that's average height for men. What is your goals?

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I would recommend you take advice from an employee in a gym to help you with your gym everyday workout schedule. As far as your diet is concerned, dietary intake of all macronutrients (lipids, proteins, carbohydrates) is essential to building up muscles, reduce cholesterol levels in your blood and visceral fat to make your body look more "ripped". Although you should avoid saturated fats, for example insted of french fries, use boiled or baked potatoes which do not require any type of oil to be cooked.
    Generally, a healthy and balanced diet will maximize your efforts in the gym. No matter how many hours or how hard you work, if not for a balanced diet, all would go to waste.

You should consult a dietitian for maximum gym/diet results, or try to minimize the size of your meals, and splits your meals to 5-6 meals per day with 3-4 hours between meals. use 2 meals as snacks between breakfast-lunch, and lunch-dinner, and try those snacks to be full with vitamins. Try fruits as snacks between meals (although watch out, more than 4 servings of fruit per day can induce weight gain.) or 100g of yoghurt with 2-3 almonds or walnuts with a teaspoon of honey and some cinnamon.

Finally, your dinner should include more protein and less carbohydrates, because protein can be digested better during the night while asleep and it is not as big a molecule as carbohydrates, which means better sleep. Fibre is also significant for the proper function of all your organs, so you should definitely include salads in lunch and/or dinner,at least 1 per day, with mixed vegetables preferably.

You should also take into consideration that the above portions are relevant, but considering your height, I would judge that your daily intake without too much lean muscle as you said, would not exceed the amount of maximum 1700 kcal basal metabolic rate.
    If you want to gain lean muscle about 500-700 kcal ( 2200-2400kcal in your case) would be required.But those calories should be consumed from healthy fats, protein and proper type of starchy foods alongside with a lot of water to enable your cells to work properly, and fibre for your organs and proper function of your intestines. Minerals are essential but foods such as bananas from fruits, or servings of red meat can help you cover the required intake.

Hope I've been of some help
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by MersennePrime)
    Hey, This summer I have 10 weeks of free time - after finishing my GCSEs I practically have no work. Therefore, I wanted to take up some hobbies, one of which I think is a good idea for fitness. I'm relatively skinny and quite tall (about 5ft 9). I think I'm going to start the Ice Cream fitness programme and get my dad to help out as he's into all that stuff. Anyway, my question is: what advice do you have or any tips? I'm a complete newb and have never ever set foot in a gym so this should be fun Also, I currently have a very bad diet which isn't very organised. What kind of diet is a good diet? Can you give examples for me? Sorry for my lack of knowledge, I know it's annoying

Read this OP and role from there, read all of it and come back with more specific questions http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3014757

(Original post by Eleftheriadis)
    Hello, I would recommend you take advice from an employee in a gym to help you with your gym everyday workout schedule.
    Most are pretty terrible tbh

As far as your diet is concerned, dietary intake of all macronutrients (lipids, proteins, carbohydrates) is essential to building up muscles, reduce cholesterol levels in your blood and visceral fat to make your body look more "ripped". Although you should avoid saturated fats, for example insted of french fries, use boiled or baked potatoes which do not require any type of oil to be cooked.
    As we don't know if OP needs to gain weight, maintain, or lose I think that's a bit of a moot point. Dietary intake of cholesterol and fat has no correlation with blood cholesterol. Only bodyfat % is indicative

Generally, a healthy and balanced diet will maximize your efforts in the gym. No matter how many hours or how hard you work, if not for a balanced diet, all would go to waste.

You should consult a dietitian for maximum gym/diet results, or try to minimize the size of your meals, and splits your meals to 5-6 meals per day with 3-4 hours between meals.
    You do not need to get referred to a dietician for half decent diet advice - which is eat 3 meals a day, based around a protein source, with plenty of veg

use 2 meals as snacks between breakfast-lunch, and lunch-dinner, and try those snacks to be full with vitamins. Try fruits as snacks between meals (although watch out, more than 4 servings of fruit per day can induce weight gain.) or 100g of yoghurt with 2-3 almonds or walnuts with a teaspoon of honey and some cinnamon.

Finally, your dinner should include more protein and less carbohydrates, because protein can be digested better during the night while asleep and it is not as big a molecule as carbohydrates, which means better sleep. Fibre is also significant for the proper function of all your organs, so you should definitely include salads in lunch and/or dinner,at least 1 per day, with mixed vegetables preferably.
    You do know how big proteins are yeah? They're big molecules and are "harder" to digest and require more digesting before carbohydrates and hence keep you fuller for longer (a crude explanation, I'll give).

You don't need salad to be healthy

You should also take into consideration that the above portions are relevant, but considering your height, I would judge that your daily intake without too much lean muscle as you said, would not exceed the amount of maximum 1700 kcal basal metabolic rate.
    If you want to gain lean muscle about 500-700 kcal ( 2200-2400kcal in your case) would be required.But those calories should be consumed from healthy fats, protein and proper type of starchy foods alongside with a lot of water to enable your cells to work properly, and fibre for your organs and proper function of your intestines. Minerals are essential but foods such as bananas from fruits, or servings of red meat can help you cover the required intake.

Hope I've been of some help
    You have no idea whether OP is male or female
    No idea on height
    No idea on weight

You have pulled that kcal value from deepest darkest space.

There's no such thing as a healthy fat and you're just listing buzz words in a random order detailing a glossy magazines definition of a healthy diet. A healthy diet is one with a decent amount and variety of vegetables in and a sources of protein 3x a day. That way, at least in omnivorous members of society, you're pretty much covered as for healthy, add in carb sources as and when needed. (Needs more cranial thought when vegetarian/ vegan at least to begin with).
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    What the cucumber said.

I'd only add if you are skinny, then maybe you want to put on a bit of muscle and get a better shape. Lift weights.
    If you are unfit i.e oit of breath do a bit of cardio as well, maybe some classes.

Swimming, walking and cycling are pretty good.

If you just want a healthy diet it helps if you understand some basic nutrition to understand what food does and the different nutritional values.
    If you are skinny then you dont appear to have the main problem of eating more than you need, so you can look at what you eat.
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/...thyeating.aspx

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 30, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.