The Student Room Group

AQA Astrophysics Exam Discussion PHYA5 Physics Unit 5 Part B

Thought it would be a good idea to have an individual thread for discussion instead of confusion in the main thread due to different optional topics being discussed!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Tagged some people I know are doing Astro (y)

Spoiler

Reply 2

Spoiler

Few more
Reply 3
Im just about done going through the entire spec and making sure I know (hopefully) everything. Does anyone know if we need to know the scale on a black body graph?
Original post by Ainsleyy

Spoiler

Few more

i'm screwed lol :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by 1017bsquad
i'm screwed lol :frown:

haha dont worry man its a hard exam grade boundaries can be as low as 43 for an A!

I also looked through all the past papers and on average 22/40 (can be as high as 29/40) of the nuclear physics paper is calculations or graphs and on average about 20/35 of the astro is calculations and graphs (can be as high as 27/35) so as long as you understand most calculations and graphs you can already have quite a high grade.
Reply 7
I'm doing it. Hopefully not an extremely wordy paper!
Reply 8
How would you go about explaining how the 3:1 ratio of abundance of Hydrogen to Helium is evidence of the Big Bang Theory?
Reply 9
Original post by cowie
How would you go about explaining how the 3:1 ratio of abundance of Hydrogen to Helium is evidence of the Big Bang Theory?

just say that it supports the idea that there was a small amount of fusion at the start of the universe which is also consistent with the big bang theory
Reply 10
Also why is it difficult to determine the age of the universe?
Original post by cowie

High temperatures required for fusion - part of the big bang theory states that the universe started very hot - essentially the right conditions for fusion to happen thus explaining the abundance of Helium and Hydrogen
Reply 12
It does feel as though the information needed to know in Astro is not too difficult to comprehend but there just seems to be so much of it..
Reply 13
umm guys, for the intensity pattern of diffraction through a circular appeture, is the with of each 'bump' the sane? Like in the single slit diffraction pattern
Original post by boyyo
umm guys, for the intensity pattern of diffraction through a circular appeture, is the with of each 'bump' the sane? Like in the single slit diffraction pattern

No idea... If you're on about resolving power, all I know is that the diffraction patterns from two objects can be resolved if the central maximum of one coincides with the first minimum of the other
Reply 15
Original post by boyyo

Central maxima is twice the width of minima
Reply 16
Original post by TajwarC
No idea... If you're on about resolving power, all I know is that the diffraction patterns from two objects can be resolved if the central maximum of one coincides with the first minimum of the other

Check question 2a(i) from the june 2013 paper, it asks to sketh the intensity pattern
Reply 17
is molar mass the mass of one mole of a substance
Reply 18
Original post by boyyo
is molar mass the mass of one mole of a substance

yes:smile:
Reply 19
Original post by cowie
yes:smile:

thanks

Quick Reply

Latest