Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Stuck with interview question 'when you faced a challenge' Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am bit rusty when it comes to interviews and not used to having to 'sell myself positively'.

I am applying for a catering job in a quite well regarded establishment. Therefore I have the strong feeling that they want their candidate to be super positive and engaged aboutthe job.

I am sure I will get the standard question of 'tell me about a situation where you have faced a great challenge and how you overcame it'.

So specifically for catering, in the past I have used the example of a trial shift where the restaurant managers were treating their employees badly and I had a difficult demanding customer while being completely new on the job.

I am not sure it was a good example as I mostly put the employers in a bad light (that was the main challenge) plus I was only working on a trial.

Now I need a new example, ideally related to catering I suppose but I can't think of anything I have experienced, at least not really a 'challenge' related to catering. Could anyone give some examples and ideas?

Thank you!
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by meaow1990)
    Certainly don't get into a discussion where you are calling not question the employers professionalism, that's a direct red flag. However, dealing with a challenging customer is a good option, if it's a customer contact role you are applying for.

The example doesn't have to have happened in the same circumstances, so it could be a customer service example from anywhere. But you have to show it is transferable to the relevant environment.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.