Why BRITEXIT FAILED (EEA)

Watch
FredOrJohn
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Most Britiexit referendum voters voted for less Immigration.

EEA is basically a colony of the EU. You do as they say, no veto, not say, not nothing.

So basically the UK now has THREE OPTIONS:

a) REMAIN
b) become an EU Colony
c) GO BROKE,
FredOrJohn
Rep:
?
(Original post by FredOrJohn)

EEA is basically a colony of the EU. You do as they say, no veto, not say, not nothing.

a) REMAIN
b) become an EU Colony
c) GO BROKE,
Sign the petition, of course not to get a rerun of the referendum but to show your feelings on the matter.You are going over a waterfall in a boat that you all agreed to sail together.The boat does not work. If you stay in it you probably commit economic suicide.Its not whining to change your mind and save youself.Get a grip people, this is not some silly macho game - this is economic life or death.Read the article:http://www.standard.co.uk/comment/co...-a3281686.html

Sign the petition:
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

Email your local MP
https://www.writetothem.com
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

a) REMAIN
b) become an EU Colony
c) GO BROKE,
d) Don't join the EEA but then discover that controlling immigration wasn't as simple as saying you can control immigration. Just keep remembering the 130,000 non-EU folks who came here last year. We can control that side apparently.
FredOrJohn
Rep:
?
(Original post by ByEeek)
d) Don't join the EEA but then discover that controlling immigration wasn't as simple as saying you can control immigration. Just keep remembering the 130,000 non-EU folks who came here last year. We can control that side apparently.

Its beginning to look like if the Conservatives can stop Boris from getting on the ballot and instead have a "REMAIN" PM we should get a vote before clause 50 is invoked.

This being said, its probably worth while keeping some level of pressure on to achieve this - ideally via the petition and writing to your constituent MP
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Its beginning to look like if the Conservatives can stop Boris from getting on the ballot and instead have a "REMAIN" PM we should get a vote before clause 50 is invoked.
You know I was a staunch remainer. But I don't agree with all of these petitions, marches and tactics in a desperate bid to remain. What is done is done. The electorate have spoken. Whether ignorant, emotional or informed they have spoken and as a democrat I accept the result. I don't agree with it but trying to get it over turned surely undermines the very core of what we stand for as a nation?
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't agree with it but trying to get it over turned surely undermines the very core of what we stand for as a nation?
Quite! And how do you think huge numbers of leave voters will vote at the next general election if exit is circumvented? It won't be for the Libdems, the Tories or Labour.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
Quite! And how do you think huge numbers of leave voters will vote at the next general election if exit is circumvented? It won't be for the Libdems, the Tories or Labour.
It isn't just the leave vote. I have generally voted for Lib Dems. "Who?" I hear you say. Exactly. So that leaves Labour (WTF), the Tories (not on your nelly) and UKIP (I would shoot myself before leaving them) So I guess it has to be the Monster Raving Loony Party?
FredOrJohn
Rep:
?
You know I was a staunch remainer. But I don't agree with all of these petitions, marches and tactics in a desperate bid to remain. What is done is done. The electorate have spoken. Whether ignorant, emotional or informed they have spoken and as a democrat I accept the result. I don't agree with it but trying to get it over turned surely undermines the very core of what we stand for as a nation?

I understand where you are coming from.

But you have to understand the democracy that underpinned this referendum was not as solid as that that which under pinned the Scottish referendum

In scotland the party that wanted indy put forward the referendum on the back of election results much more specifically on that issue

In this referendum, people voted Conservative, 90% of the time, for things totally unconnected to the referendum

Its a chalk and cheese situation.

But I do understand your view. I just don't think your view matches the known facts.

This was way too much a Whim and not a thought out process where each - nothing like the SNP referendum at all.

I can see that you can honestly disagree with me without bias or rancour.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In this referendum, people voted Conservative, 90% of the time, for things totally unconnected to the referendum
If that were true the vote would have gone to Cameron's remain camp, surely?
FredOrJohn
Rep:
?
(Original post by Good bloke)
If that were true the vote would have gone to Cameron's remain camp, surely?
Not so. Just look at the areas that voted LEAVE the strongest (Wales, the North East, Humberside ) - I'd say the majority of Tory seats are REMAIN (just).

If you look at the petition you will note the votes to REMAIN are coming mainly from the south (Tory) and London (Labour).

That is why everyone is out to get Corbyn....
electrifeye
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Frankly, I see a few possibilities for our future, and there's no real way of knowing which it will be:

1. We don't leave / have a 2nd referendum. We experience riots from the leave voters and make ourselves look like indecisive idiots.
2. We leave, it all works out great and we get the deals we want.
3. We leave, the other nations give us terrible deals and we end up worse than we started.

I accept the fact that a bright future without the EU is possible. But the other possibilities make me a bit uneasy about the whole thing.
FredOrJohn
Rep:
?
(Original post by electrifeye)
Frankly, I see a few possibilities for our future, and there's no real way of knowing which it will be:

1. We don't leave / have a 2nd referendum. We experience riots from the leave voters and make ourselves look like indecisive idiots.
2. We leave, it all works out great and we get the deals we want.
3. We leave, the other nations give us terrible deals and we end up worse than we started.

I accept the fact that a bright future without the EU is possible. But the other possibilities make me a bit uneasy about the whole thing.
I'm not suggesting a second referendum
I'm saying that it should go to a proper, koshur ELECTION on the issue.

The last election, unlike SNP referendum, was not about referendum at all. We got this by the back door. The British people deserve a bit better than this.
Come on. Its only fair.

No one is taking the win away from the LEAVERS, we now just want an election to see what should be done next. All options are open.
electrifeye
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah, I don't think a second referendum is really going to happen, then it could be viewed as the government keeping on trying until they get the result they want.
ckfeister
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

a) REMAIN
b) become an EU Colony
c) GO BROKE,
I like free movement, we just don't want EU regulation.
FredOrJohn
Rep:
?
(Original post by ckfeister)
I like free movement, we just don't want EU regulation.
Mates of mine worked at the EU regulation body ECHA
(See site below)
http://echa.europa.eu/

What is wrong with their regulations compared to USA etc?
Surely its far far far cheaper to have one place doing all the testing on chemicals, foods, packaging etc then every single country doing it separately?

I mean if there was no regulation would you want to go an eat in a restaurant if there were no food hygene regulations - or buy clothes with dangerous chemicals on them?

I'm sorry, but I don't think you are being rational - sorry.
ckfeister
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Mates of mine worked at the EU regulation body ECHA
(See site below)

What is wrong with their regulations compared to USA etc?
Surely its far far far cheaper to have one place doing all the testing on chemicals, foods, packaging etc then every single country doing it separately?

I mean if there was no regulation would you want to go an eat in a restaurant if there were no food hygene regulations - or buy clothes with dangerous chemicals on them?

I'm sorry, but I don't think you are being rational - sorry.
They over-regulate.
FredOrJohn
Rep:
?
(Original post by ckfeister)
They over-regulate.
As opposed to 30 odd countries all doing things separately???

Can you imagine trying to make a pair of jeans so that it matches 30 countries regulations.....

I think you have not thought it through. Go to the site below and show the regulation that has gone too far:

ECHA
JamesN88
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

a) REMAIN
b) become an EU Colony
c) GO BROKE,
The EEA isn't so bad.

You still get the single market without a customs union, only people who trade with the EU have to abide by EU regulations and you aren't tied into the CFP and CAP. The downside is that you don't get a seat at the table.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Can you imagine trying to make a pair of jeans so that it matches 30 countries regulations.....
The big question is why you need detailed regulations about jeans. Let the market decide.
gladders
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Parliament is sovereign, and it has a responsibility to lead, and govern in the public interest, not blindly follow the country off a cliff.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (107)
13.49%
I'm not sure (36)
4.54%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (242)
30.52%
I have already dropped out (20)
2.52%
I'm not a current university student (388)
48.93%

Watched Threads