Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished my GCSEs and had my sixth form induction the other day. I suffer quite badly from social anxiety and the whole thing of new classes, new teachers and new students got to me. It was also the fear of being picked on or even have any adult speak to me whilst in class, which my other teachers didn't do because they knew how anxious it made me.
    Anyway, my secondary school and sixth form are joined so after one of the lessons I ran to a member of staff from the main school and told her and asked her to go home etc and she said I could but it'd be better to sit somewhere quiet and on my own and look at some of the work the teachers had for me. She then took me to the pastoral member of staff in the sixth form block and she was nice about it and asked if I needed a tissue, that it was good to actually come to school etc and then she said I could sit in a room on my own and she would get work for me.
    She is aware of my anxiety because I got introduced to her a few months before but like what will she think of me now?
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Lucofthewoods)
    I've just finished my GCSEs and had my sixth form induction the other day. I suffer quite badly from social anxiety and the whole thing of new classes, new teachers and new students got to me. It was also the fear of being picked on or even have any adult speak to me whilst in class, which my other teachers didn't do because they knew how anxious it made me.
    Anyway, my secondary school and sixth form are joined so after one of the lessons I ran to a member of staff from the main school and told her and asked her to go home etc and she said I could but it'd be better to sit somewhere quiet and on my own and look at some of the work the teachers had for me. She then took me to the pastoral member of staff in the sixth form block and she was nice about it and asked if I needed a tissue, that it was good to actually come to school etc and then she said I could sit in a room on my own and she would get work for me.
    She is aware of my anxiety because I got introduced to her a few months before but like what will she think of me now?
    I'm sorry to hear about your anxiety - it really does suck, anxiety does. I think you did the completely right thing in going to your teacher and going to see the pastoral member of staff. I'm sure that they won't have any negative opinion of you or anything - they'll see many students with similar issues and will be more than happy to help. In my experience at least, talking to my tutors proved to be very helpful and hopefully it'll be the same for you.

Hi. I suffer quite badly from social anxiety too, as well as mild GAD; during exam season, my anxiety levels soar, so much so that the smallest thing will set me off. I started having anxiety attacks just before my exams started. Go talk to your school counsellor and explain how difficult it can be with the social anxiety. I would speak to your form tutor as well, or you can ask the counsellor to do that for you; however, they should speak to your tutor anyways so that they know about your anxiety.

Another thing you can do is talk to some of the senior staff, such as your Head of Sixth Form. I spoke to the Assistant Head Teacher at my school, and he spoke to my Head of House and tutor. I was allowed to leave the school grounds during my free periods and go to the library in town to study, or I could go find an empty classroom to study in. Again, you can ask the counsellor to speak to someone on your behalf.

I hope everything goes well for you! x

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 4, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.