Who will be the next England manager?

Watch
Poll: Who will be the next England manager?
Gareth Southgate (86)
15.28%
Harry Redknapp (104)
18.47%
Alan Shearer (97)
17.23%
Eddie Howe (36)
6.39%
Glen Hoddle (24)
4.26%
Gary Neville (52)
9.24%
Someone else.. (164)
29.13%
Pickles
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
After last night's performance, it's no surprise that Woy is no more..

So who do you think will be the next England manager? Apparently Gareth Southgate is favourite?!
thunder_chunky
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Some people are saying that it ought to be Glenn "Disabled people are paying for sins from a past life" Hoddle.

I'd prefer it if it wasn't him.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Don't know, but I don't envy them. It might be among the highest paid jobs in international football, but it's easily the worst.

Can't see any half decent premiership manager wanting take it - it's a career kiss of death.
Lucarious30
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Boris.
The 5th Sense
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
David Cameron's looking for a job
MattB_
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Get old Guus Hiddink
TomMoses
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Definitely should be Jurgen Klinsmann IMO because he's a winner and would have presence in the changing room. He also has a history with Spurs which will help those players within the squad significantly. I would also look at the positive impact foreign coaches have had on cricket and rugby.
UWS
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Big Sam if we're looking for an English manager.

Also Laurent Blanc is looking for a job
username1292215
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Arsene Wenger for bants plz
Momma's Kumquat
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Gareth Southgate? And we wonder why we never get anywhere(!)

I think the FA should go all-out for Bilic. Great tactician, knows the English game inside out, Anglophile, proven international management experience at the top level.
Joep95
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What has Alan shearer done to deserve to be on the list? His managerial career consists of only taking Newcastle down.
markovchain17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Farage
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't care. I have my doubts that England can be formed to a great football team. So it makes no differences who comes next. I wonder what the reason is that England is playing always such a bad tournament, be it WC or EURO.
Jimmy Seville
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Cheeky shout - Laurent Blanc. Just left PSG, has international experience and has dealt with big ego's.
Rk2k14
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Give it Giggsy.
Baz1000
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I echo what some of you guys have said about Southgate not being up to standard for the job.

When you consider the type of managers that have won euros and world cups for their country, many of them have not really had glittering club careers and so, we shouldn't fall into that trap of buying a manager based on "good" club form alone (Allardyce, Pulis, Howe). Hodgson was very similiar to them and it is clear he is not capable of inspiring his players to perform to their best in an international finals.

Hoddle and Redknapp for me are probably the most international manager material out of all the suggestions being thrown around. If we could have either I would be very, very happy.

It is important to note this England squad is one of the strongest we've had for years. In a way it was also a disadvantage as Hodgson was not able to find his best team. They are also an incredibly young team. They will be stronger in the future. With the right management in place we really should be contenders to win international competitions in the future.
Jimmy Seville
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Baz1000)
I echo what some of you guys have said about Southgate not being up to standard for the job.

When you consider the type of managers that have won euros and world cups for their country, many of them have not really had glittering club careers and so, we shouldn't fall into that trap of buying a manager based on "good" club form alone (Allardyce, Pulis, Howe). Hodgson was very similiar to them and it is clear he is not capable of inspiring his players to perform to their best in an international finals.

Hoddle and Redknapp for me are probably the most international manager material out of all the suggestions being thrown around. If we could have either I would be very, very happy.

It is important to note this England squad is one of the strongest we've had for years. In a way it was also a disadvantage as Hodgson was not able to find his best team. They are also an incredibly young team. They will be stronger in the future. With the right management in place we really should be contenders to win international competitions in the future.
If Hoddle gets the job I will literally kill myself.

The FA have had this plan to blood through young managers and change the way the first team down to u-13's play, but its only been place for a few years and would be too soon for Southgate I think. Should give it to Blanc, or Giggsy, for a few years then evaluate whether Southgate's done well enough with the u21's to deserve the chance.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TomMoses)
Definitely should be Jurgen Klinsmann IMO because he's a winner and would have presence in the changing room. He also has a history with Spurs which will help those players within the squad significantly. I would also look at the positive impact foreign coaches have had on cricket and rugby.
It's 20 years since Klinsmann played for Spurs, the current Spurs players in the squad will have no connection to him at all, considering they're only 20-23 themselves.

And yes, that is a point to note. But look at Erikson and Capello. We've tried foreign, it didn't work.

We just need to give up on this notion that we're a good footballing nation. We're simply not. It's a national delusion.
Baz1000
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jimmy Seville)
If Hoddle gets the job I will literally kill myself.

The FA have had this plan to blood through young managers and change the way the first team down to u-13's play, but its only been place for a few years and would be too soon for Southgate I think. Should give it to Blanc, or Giggsy, for a few years then evaluate whether Southgate's done well enough with the u21's to deserve the chance.
No doubts, what Hoddle did, back when he was manager was disgraceful. But in the same way, you cannot fault his managerial abilities. He took this country further than many managers had done before and since, playing football the right way as well for that matter. We are human we all make mistakes, in this case Hoddle made a very big one. But can't we just move on, that was a long time ago...

The past international managers we have had were quite similar in terms of career success as Blanc. Eriksson ended up destroying the golden generation, we couldn't get past the quarter finals. With Capello we lost to Germany in the round of 16, 4-1. Ashley Cole, Terry and Ferdinand all retired (England's defence still has not recovered) and lastly, watching England back then was more tedious than watching paint dry.

You ready to take a gamble on Blanc now? How many managers have won euros and world cups with a country they do not originate from?
Joep95
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Drewski)
It's 20 years since Klinsmann played for Spurs, the current Spurs players in the squad will have no connection to him at all, considering they're only 20-23 themselves.

And yes, that is a point to note. But look at Erikson and Capello. We've tried foreign, it didn't work.

We just need to give up on this notion that we're a good footballing nation. We're simply not. It's a national delusion.
Mcclaren and hodgson.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (9)
37.5%
No - I have already returned home (4)
16.67%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (6)
25%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (1)
4.17%
No - I live at home during term anyway (4)
16.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise