Are the Politician's lies enough for a second EU referendum to be held?

Watch
orton6
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Now that the leave party are basically admitting they completely lied to people about what they would do / what would happen if people voted to leave (such as the £350m EU tax money going to the NHS) is this enough for parliament to allow a second EU referendum?
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by orton6)
Now that politicians are basically admitting they completely lied to people about what they would do / what would happen if people voted to leave (such as the £350m EU tax money going to the NHS) is this enough for parliament to allow a second EU referendum?
no. it's over. we have been :dolphin: :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:ed over by Boris and his cardigan wearing cohorts. get used to it.
PrincessZara
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Cherry82
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I can't trust politicians. And I'm not just referring to the leave party but in general. All the lies are out: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politic...endum-36641390

And to your question, we just have to wait and see but at the moment it seems like a no.
Sarahchuu
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No a second referendum is like saying "wrong answer try again". It defeats the point of democracy and as much as I resent this fact, and the lies that were told, it is undemocratic nonetheless. So the least we remainers can hope for is that they feel the shame of lying to their country.

What's done is done, at least 52% of the electorate will be happy........................... ... *sighs*
orton6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Sarahchuu)
No a second referendum is like saying "wrong answer try again". It defeats the point of democracy and as much as I resent this fact, and the lies that were told, it is undemocratic nonetheless. So the least we remainers can hope for is that they feel the shame of lying to their country.

What's done is done, at least 52% of the electorate will be happy........................... ... *sighs*
People should be given another chance to vote now that they know that what they were promised before they voted is a lie.

See what Richard Branson said about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GQZyP_Odio

Seriously, if we leave the EU the UK will become a disaster like Greece
MonsoonFlower
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Now that the leave party are basically admitting they completely lied to people about what they would do / what would happen if people voted to leave (such as the £350m EU tax money going to the NHS) is this enough for parliament to allow a second EU referendum?
For goodness sakes a 2nd referendum has already been scrapped. Move on.
The Roast
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PrincessZara)
pol pot noodles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This is pathetic, desperate stuff from Remain. It wasn't a General Election. The Leave campaign didn't win their way into government. Boris isn't PM, Nigel Farage isn't the chancellor. Leave have like 4 cabinet ministers between them. They never promised they'd do anything specific, because they don't have the power to. Everything was a generalisation about what COULD be done, or what SHOULD be done by future governments.

Salty Remainers are getting annoying now, you guys are literally scrapping the bottom of the barrel now with this stupid logic. Lets not even get into your hypocrisy. Where was the punishment budget that was meant to happen on Friday? What happened to the UK being the back of everyones trade queues?*
Rorschach II
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
People should be given another chance to vote now that they know that what they were promised before they voted is a lie.

See what Richard Branson said about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GQZyP_Odio

Are you being serious!?

Oh wait, yes you are. :facepalm:
MonsoonFlower
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

What about the other younger generations who didn't vote first time round, do you think this 'wake up call' will make them change their minds?

Probably not because life doesn't offer any guarantees.
Dez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If we had to run an election every single time a politician lied, we'd be at the ballot boxes literally every single day.

There will not be a second referendum, except maybe one in the future saying "Should the UK rejoin the European Union?" if the faecal matter hits the turbine.
Paracosm
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Dez)
if the faecal matter hits the turbine.

:toofunny:

You're right, though.
Dr Pesto
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What on earth is the "leave party"?
MrControversial
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There is no possibility of a second referendum and it would not be needed if there were. The referendum is not legally binding and parliament can block it so a retake would only be political and a severe headache. The people have expressed themselves and now it is for the government to decide how to act on that. Invoking article 50 is one option. Asking why people voted for leave and attempting to address that via other means is another option. Unfortunately, they aren't going to admit that it's probably immigration. They could ignore it altogether which would be unwise. In the worst case, they ignore the immigration issue and pretend it's all about something else while secretly punishing leave voters with more immigration for making things hard for them.

However, the EU has made any option other than invoking article 50 very difficult. It's taken back all previous reforms with no option of further negotiation so in that case not leaving will be a piss take towards leave supporters. The way France and Germany are talking, it sounds like they will invoke article 7 against us if we don't invoke article 50 ourselves.

Boris I think has gone mad.
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If there is a second referendum it will be on the terms of leaving, but I am not sure Leave will be able to mount sufficient support to force one.

A deal will be struck that keeps us in the single market and subject to a fig-leaf that excludes one Latvian who doesn't wasn't to come here anyway, allows free movement.

Farage will say it is a betrayal and demand a second referendum. All of the other Leave MPs who have been scared rigid by the consequences of the Brexit decision will say "did someone speak? No? Carry on"
difeo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Dr Pesto)
What on earth is the "leave party"?
Well, "party" in this context would appear to mean "a person or people forming one side in an agreement or dispute", so "leave party" would therefore be the vote leave side of the debate
aterax
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
"At present, there is not a majority for Britain to leave the EU in either the House of Commons or the House of Lords. Indeed, given a free vote, the unelected Lords would probably reject Brexit by a margin of six to one." - Guardian article on Wednesday, 29 June 2016.

Jeremy Hunt, who will run for Conservative leadership, has said that we shouldn't invoke Article 50 right away as then we are giving ourselves a two year time limit where we might leave the EU with no deal at all. He says, "we need to negotiate a deal and put it to the British people, either in a referendum or through the Conservative manifesto at a fresh general election." - Independent article on Tuesday, 28 June 2016.

Personally, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a second referendum. It might not be on the exact same issue, but whatever happens I believe that politicians need to recognise and validate the feelings of the 48% alongside the people who voted to leave and now regret their decision. I also hope they listen to the young people and Britons living abroad who were denied a vote on such an important issue that will shape their futures for generations to come.

Let's also keep in mind that the person who set up the second referendum petition (which has now been signed by over 4 million people) was originally a Brexit campaigner himself!
Sarahchuu
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MrControversial)
There is no possibility of a second referendum and it would not be needed if there were. The referendum is not legally binding and parliament can block it so a retake would only be political and a severe headache. The people have expressed themselves and now it is for the government to decide how to act on that. Invoking article 50 is one option. Asking why people voted for leave and attempting to address that via other means is another option. Unfortunately, they aren't going to admit that it's probably immigration. They could ignore it altogether which would be unwise. In the worst case, they ignore the immigration issue and pretend it's all about something else while secretly punishing leave voters with more immigration for making things hard for them.

However, the EU has made any option other than invoking article 50 very difficult. It's taken back all previous reforms with no option of further negotiation so in that case not leaving will be a piss take towards leave supporters. The way France and Germany are talking, it sounds like they will invoke article 7 against us if we don't invoke article 50 ourselves.

Boris I think has gone mad.
All this "invoking article *insert number here*" stuff is making me go rather mad too :s
Twinpeaks
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Sarahchuu)

I don't see how it defeats democracy though, if people felt like the basis of which they made their voting decision was a complete lie, then surely the democratic response would be to allow them to re-vote in the knowledge of the actual truth.

I started off by disliking the thought of a second referendum, but now all their lies are unveiling I think it might actually be the right choice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (106)
13.43%
I'm not sure (36)
4.56%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (242)
30.67%
I have already dropped out (19)
2.41%
I'm not a current university student (386)
48.92%

Watched Threads