Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I am due to start a primary and early years pgce via school direct in September and am already worrying about getting a job for the following year! Location is very important to me - we wont be moving to a different location- so I wondered if you could tell me how easy it was to find a position for September as an nqt and whether there was a good supply of jobs in your area or outside of it, to apply for?TIARos

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ros1978)
    Hi. I am due to start a primary and early years pgce via school direct in September and am already worrying about getting a job for the following year! Location is very important to me - we wont be moving to a different location- so I wondered if you could tell me how easy it was to find a position for September as an nqt and whether there was a good supply of jobs in your area or outside of it, to apply for?TIARos
    Jobs are easy to come by if you know where you want to look - schools are pretty desperate to fill their vacancies and there are quite a lot of them struggling to do so before the summer holidays start. Unless you are a diabolical teacher (I wouldn't have thought so ) then you won't have any trouble finding a job for your NQT year. However, this doesn't mean you will just be able to walk into one, it will still be a matter of you fitting into the school as well as the school fitting you. But at the moment, it is pretty easy for teachers to find jobs, and pretty difficult for head teachers to fill all their vacancies!

However, a word of caution: the places that you are training at may offer you a job for September as soon as they think you will fit into the school. I would strongly advise that you wait until you have experienced working with a range of different schools, and I mean different in terms of size, student demographic etc. Reason being that someone on my course verbally accepted a job from their first placement, then got offered a job by their second placement school as well. In the end, they opted for the second job, but in doing so burned their bridges with the first school, and in the end found it too awkward to return for their third placement. It made things incredibly awkward, and could have been so easily avoided if they hadn't verbally accepted without knowing what they really wanted!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ros1978)
    I remember being worried about the same thing when I was in your position, particularly because I am not the type of person who excels during interviews in the first place, but it all worked out fine! The majority of the people on my course have secured jobs and I actually live in an area where even Ofsted has commented on how competitive the market is! There is much less competition in other parts of the country and, in some areas, schools are actually struggling to recruit - you may find that you live in one of those areas. The NCTL allocates training providers with places partly based on the recruitment needs of the local area, so theoretically, there should not be more trainees than jobs anyway.

Some people on my course secured their jobs after just one interview back in March but it took me three interviews across April and May to get mine. I also know of someone who has been doing steady supply work for the past year and has just secured their first job. There seems to be a good amount of supply work available in my area - my university actually had a day where various incredibly eager agencies came in to sign us up. I can't imagine them bothering if they had more teachers than work.

You should find out if there is an NQT pool for your area. If your application to the pool is successful, any schools that are a part of this pool will consider you for jobs without you having to submit an application to them. You simply indicate your interest in their vacancy via the pool and they then decide if they want to interview you. In some places, like Birmingham and Suffolk, there are council run pools and, in others, there might be a pool run by a group of schools. In my area, it's the latter and I didn't bother applying because they were recruiting in February and March, which felt too early to be interviewing for jobs. I shot myself in the foot somewhat by not applying because they apparently gave every candidate very valuable feedback regarding their interview technique!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.