The Student Room Group

Hastings driving smart miles black box

Hi there,

i recently got insured with Hastings but they are going to put a black box in my car monitoring stuff like: speed, acceleration, braking, where you are travelling and time of travel. THE thing is there is no curfew but driving too much at night from 10pm-5am can lower your score. I need to go to work 3 or 4 times a week at night which is about 5 or 6 mins away from me so say if I drove 30 mins or under every week during night period do you think they would be fine with that. The minimum average score needed is 40 or you can face losing your insurance
Original post by ineedtorevise127
Hi there,

i recently got insured with Hastings but they are going to put a black box in my car monitoring stuff like: speed, acceleration, braking, where you are travelling and time of travel. THE thing is there is no curfew but driving too much at night from 10pm-5am can lower your score. I need to go to work 3 or 4 times a week at night which is about 5 or 6 mins away from me so say if I drove 30 mins or under every week during night period do you think they would be fine with that. The minimum average score needed is 40 or you can face losing your insurance

If you want a reliable answer, I'd suggest contacting them directly, and asking your questions, plus explaining the situation you're in :smile:
I know this is old but did you get an answer I work sometimes at night too 😬
Original post by ShanViolet
I know this is old but did you get an answer I work sometimes at night too 😬

@ineedtorevise127
Original post by ineedtorevise127
Hi there,

Yes, driving too much at night and having your car away from your home (or the address where you say the car is kept) for prolonged periods can lower your score but usually, the only people who end up uninsurable or with massive premiums drive like lunatics and have at least 1 collision, even a 10mph collision with a bin would register. As you've told them that you are using it for commuting it should be fine, there might be a way to ring them up and ask how you're driving is being penalised, if at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending