Can I move to Hungary if my dad's parents were Hungarian?

Watch
randy6
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
The UK is now doomed, it will become the next Greece. Am I able to move to Hungary if my dad's parents were Hungarian (he was born in the UK)
Kryptonian
Badges: 9
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by randy6)
The UK is now doomed, it will become the next Greece. Am I able to move to Hungary if my dad's parents were Hungarian (he was born in the UK)
Apply for citizenship if you want
Jacarch12
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
How can the UK get Greece'd when its not inside a non democratic, economic laggard of a political union? Oh wait, it cant.
randy6
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jacarch12)
How can the UK get Greece'd when its not inside a non democratic, economic laggard of a political union? Oh wait, it cant.
Most large companies will move most of their jobs to within the EU, especially in the technology sector and we're about to go into a recession
Jacarch12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Most large companies will move most of their jobs to within the EU, especially in the technology sector and we're about to go into a recession
Do you understand what happened in Greece, the country defaulted on trap loans from the EU, IMF etc. That wont happen for us, we have a currency of our own that is resilient to even the most severe economic implications, we aren't trapped by debts like Greece is, and furthermore, the fifth largest economy doesn't just get Greece'd without having serious implications for the nations surrounding it, our collapse would take the EU with it. Stop catastrophizing this referendum with the economy. Sometimes, economy isn't the most important thing, quality of life needs to improve within this country and it will not do so with EU non democratic policy.
randy6
Rep:
?
Do you understand what happened in Greece, the country defaulted on trap loans from the EU, IMF etc. That wont happen for us, we have a currency of our own that is resilient to even the most severe economic implications, we aren't trapped by debts like Greece is, and furthermore, the fifth largest economy doesn't just get Greece'd without having serious implications for the nations surrounding it, our collapse would take the EU with it. Stop catastrophizing this referendum with the economy. Sometimes, economy isn't the most important thing, quality of life needs to improve within this country and it will not do so with EU non democratic policy.
You say we won't go into recession, yet Sir Richard Branson says we will (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GQZyP_Odio). Who's most likely going to be right?
lolakirk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I sincerely hope this is a troll thread. You do realize that Hungary is in a horrible economic situation and hundreds of thousands of people have left the country in the last few years (about 100K of them are living in the UK right now). It isn't very different from Greece. Do you even speak Hungarian? LMAO.
oShahpo
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
. Stop catastrophizing this referendum with the economy. Sometimes, economy isn't the most important thing, quality of life needs to improve within this country and it will not do so with EU non democratic policy.
Absolutely! I mean, yea it's true I probably won't have enough money to buy a house, have a decent job or get married, but I am telling you my quality of life will be so ****ing up the roof when I don't see people who look a bit polish in the streets anymore.
Jacarch12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
To further add to the fact, on what basis is the UK doomed? Because its no longer in the single political union that has had three successive economies collapse under its watch? To add to the fact the UK has bailed out two of those collapsing nations because the central EU countries, being France and Germoney, couldn't do that without imposing their own recessions and risk Greece-ing themselves?

The EU is a failed political project, within a few decades I wouldn't be surprised to see it vanish.
rockrunride
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Wikipedia)
Section 4(3) of the Act on Nationality permits ethnic Hungarians (defined as persons "at least one of whose relatives in ascendant line was a Hungarian citizen") to obtain citizenship on preferential terms after one year of residence. In addition, the "Status Law" of 2001 grants certain privileges to ethnic Hungarians living in territories that were once part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. It permits them to obtain an identification card but does not confer the right to full Hungarian citizenship. According to the latest Citizenship Law adopted in 2010, anybody, possessing certain evidences (certificates, documents) of his or her Hungarian roots from around the World can apply for Hungarian Citizenship. The interview is lead in Hungarian either in Hungary or at one of the Consulates abroad.
Yeah, open that phrasebook pal.
Jacarch12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by oShahpo)
Absolutely! I mean, yea it's true I probably won't have enough money to buy a house, have a decent job or get married, but I am telling you my quality of life will be so ****ing up the roof when I don't see people who look a bit polish in the streets anymore.
Yeah, because I bet you have enough money to do all that now. What is your actual argument? I cant seem to identify one except from the fact that you are butt hurt at the result because you may or may not be a regressive leftist EU remain laggard.
Melancholic Mill
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hungary under Orban may not be your best choice! I'd go to Germany or Ireland or EEC countries such as Switzerland and get permanent residence as soon as possible before the British actually loose free movement of peoples.

You can work in English-speaking jobs there if you don't know German.
Jacarch12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
you wont have enough money to get a decent job, my my...
oShahpo
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
you wont have enough money to get a decent job, my my...
That is not what I meant, the comma separates the two sentences.
oShahpo
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah, because I bet you have enough money to do all that now. What is your actual argument? I cant seem to identify one except from the fact that you are butt hurt at the result because you may or may not be a regressive leftist EU remain laggard.
I am not saying I do, I am just mocking your silly argument that sovereignty matters more than economy.
Jacarch12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am not saying I do, I am just mocking your silly argument that sovereignty matters more than economy.
How is that a silly argument, to add to the fact, both economy and sovereignty will be protected outside of the EU.
oShahpo
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
How is that a silly argument, to add to the fact, both economy and sovereignty will be protected outside of the EU.
Don't say the economy doesn't matter then. If you're arguing that the economy won't be damaged, that's a different argument all together.
Jacarch12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Don't say the economy doesn't matter then. If you're arguing that the economy won't be damaged, that's a different argument all together.
I wasn't saying it doesn't matter, I was saying a shift in focus is required to see the full picture, I can tell you are butt hurt though, you really need to give up on it, accept the vote, work hard and this country will be a great place for you to live. At the end of the day 90% of people arguing for 2nd referendums have never had a proper job and don't have a clue about the economy. GDP growth at a abysmal 1% is not really what the UK should focus on. Because even that "growth" only really benefits 1% of the richest in our population.

My point is this, the economy matters, to an extent, I believe the damage that could be done to the economy is virtually zero as a result of past EU economic crises such as Greece, Spain, Ireland and the 2008 financial recession will eventually repeat themselves within Europe as a result of the EU itself.

Additionally, I think people need to focus on more attributes than just the economy, as economy does not mean everything. A good strong democracy where issues are resolved through true diplomacy paves the way for successful economy, but the EU is failing to do that as well.
JamesN88
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If we go into a recession we'll still be better off than Eastern Europe.
Jacarch12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by JamesN88)
If we go into a recession we'll still be better off than Eastern Europe.
We will be better off than the nations currently suffering as a result of the EU.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (147)
14.54%
I'm not sure (43)
4.25%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (303)
29.97%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.57%
I'm not a current university student (492)
48.66%

Watched Threads