Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

arrested for GBH/want to study child care at college/enhancedDBS Watch

ReputationRep:
    I was arrested for GBH but the charges were dropped and no further action was taken. I want to go college and study children's care, learning and development but the course requires an enhanced DBS check. Does any one know if it will effect me getting into the college or not? considering the charges were dropped, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Yikes. Dunno about college but if you get found out for being charged for that for your field of work...

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    y'all wana choose a new course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawtyb)
    y'all wana choose a new course
    So you recon the course will not accept me? even though the charges were dropped and no further action was taken

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommycee24)
    So you recon the course will not accept me? even though the charges were dropped and no further action was taken
    Arrested or convicted of gbh?

Convicted, yes.

Otherwise no.

ReputationRep:
    i dont think they will as they'll see you as a danger toward children. regardless of it being dropped, the fact the accusation was held against you, leaves you as a potential risk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicada3301)
    Arrested or convicted of gbh?

Convicted, yes.

Otherwise no.
    I was arrested for it. It was a mess of a night that involved me and a friend fighting, i was taken to the station on that night, and let out the next day. when i checked with the police on their system last week, it said no further action will be taken so im assuming i didnt even get a caution because of it.

Its just im still quite paranoid that when i do the enhanced DBS with the college they still might say no.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I have an enhanced DBS… the categories are:
    • "Police records of Convictions, Cautions, Reprimands and Warnings:"
    • "Information from the list held under Section 142 of the Education Act 2002":
    • "DBS Children's Barred List information":
    • "DBS Adult's Barred List information":
    • "Other relevant information disclosed at the Chief Police Officer(s) discretion":

Hope that helps a bit? It'd probably be listed that you'd been arrested…

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iEthan)
    I have an enhanced DBS… the categories are:
    • "Police records of Convictions, Cautions, Reprimands and Warnings:"
    • "Information from the list held under Section 142 of the Education Act 2002":
    • "DBS Children's Barred List information":
    • "DBS Adult's Barred List information":
    • "Other relevant information disclosed at the Chief Police Officer(s) discretion":
    thank you yeah thats great, suppose im a bit relieved now. How do you go about getting an enhanced dbs check? its worth me getting one so i can see for sure.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    thank you yeah thats great, suppose im a bit relieved now. How do you go about getting an enhanced dbs check? its worth me getting one so i can see for sure.
    I had it done so I could be part of the Support Team here, not sure how to get it done individually or if that's even possible... Sorry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iEthan)
    I had it done so I could be part of the Support Team here, not sure how to get it done individually or if that's even possible... Sorry!
    oh okay then no worry's, much appreciated anyway thankyou!

ReputationRep:
    Why are you asking on here? How should we know? Ring the college and ask them directly. You don't have to give your name. Failing that, you could ring a solicitor and ask for advice. It will probably be free.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    If it is mentioned, it will be mentioned here.

It is up to the police whether to mention it. There is a right of appeal.

My guess is for a job with children they won't mention this. If you had been seeking a licence as a bouncer, they might have done.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 29, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.