Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Giving up alcohol and what to do instead Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have an alcohol problem. I went 5 days without last week, then in 2 days had half a litre of rum, 2 bottles of wine and 4 beers, so about 50 units, on my own.

I have autism and schizophrenia, which probably doesnt help with the alcohol intake.

I think teetotal life is the only option for me.

I have got my job back so thatll keep me going sober for 25 hours of the week.

The things id like to do would be read more novels, study the textbooks for the maths degree i had to leave, learn my electric piano, play more guitar, exercise more and play my videogames.

Should i just play the videogames for now, as that is quite an easy activity to keep me busy as i come off alcohol? Or should i throw myself right into exercise to try to get endorphins etc going?

ReputationRep:
    Exercise and focus on some of those other activities that you mentioned.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Join the movement.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with funkymama. Exercise would be good for you. You could maybe go on a run every time you have the urge to drink. You listed some things you'd like to do, why don't you just take a crack at them and go for it? What if you say went to read novels or study in a library where you obviously won't be able to drink. Put yourself in environments where you can't drink.

ReputationRep:
    I say play videogames you need to do something fun and enjoyable

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Theres laods of things to do.

ReputationRep:
    I feel your pain. Trying to cut back myself and it's a real struggle, only been 2 days so far..*
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Instead of having an alcoholic drink, have a coffee, I sometimes do this to reduce my alcohol intake. I don't mean "have a coffee" to mean any non alcoholic drink, but specifically coffee for the small rush it will give you due to caffeine AND I find the idea of booze after coffee to be horrible so it puts me off having alcohol for a while. You could try energy drinks but they don't work as well for me as I used to drink a lot of vodka + Monster and always associate the two.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    drink water instead :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Focus your attention on your activities, you could even think about returning to your maths degree

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.