Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So I just finished my first year of university about a month ago, and although I have enjoyed most of my course, I absolutely hate tutorials. We have quite a lot throughout the year, and I ended up skiving a few of them, most noticeably near the end. I'm naturally quite a quiet person, so I tend to get quite shy especially in front of people I don't know. Any ways, my tutor was a complete d*** in the first half of the year, really cold and stubborn and I felt he was really judgemental on what I had to say. Also, I don't really know the other people in my tutorial group which makes it worse, as outside of tutorials I don't really talk to them.
    So I'm not quite sure what to do, as I know after I graduate I will need a reference from my tutor, but if I don't end up going to any tutorials, will I get a bad reference written for me?

ReputationRep:
    Ask to have a new tutor. You're paying for your education so you at least deserve to have a decent tutor that doesn't make you feel like ****. Just ask.

ReputationRep:
    Try to be more open with people. Imagine yourself in their place and don't get everything they say or do the wrong way. In general, give them a chance. Your tutor may choose to be this way because of his professional obligations, truth is that you don't need him/her as a friend, just to carry on with his job. If you are punctual and show interest in his class as well as with a good amount of effort then I believe most probably your tutor will give you reference.

Try to get in contact with other students, don't shut yourself and the rest of your studies will be great in all aspects

ReputationRep:
    Not a good idea not to turn up, I never made friends in them but being quiet is just a waste of your money. Being challenged will help you develop.
    If you really can't get on ask to switch classes if possible. Otherwise get on with it, ask to speak to them personally and explain everything and work from there.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.