Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Any negotiations must inculde an immigration overahul Watch

ReputationRep:
    *overhaul

Otherwise it will be Brexit-Lite.

I like the idea of a points based system.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, people have been sold down the river.

We can't have points based immigration and the single market, so we're not getting points based immigration.

We'll end up with Brexit-lite and EU-lite.

ReputationRep:
    I suspect the Conservatives will put the single market ahead of immigration controls. So there is going to be a lot of angry leave voters when they discover they are still outcompeted in the labour market by unskilled Europeans who barely speak any English.

ReputationRep:
    Free Movement of Labour ∈ Single market

You decide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    I suspect the Conservatives will put the single market ahead of immigration controls. So there is going to be a lot of angry leave voters when they discover they are still outcompeted in the labour market by unskilled Europeans who barely speak any English.
    Sorry, but if you're outcompeted by someone with no skills who can't speak English you probably aren't a very attractive employee regardless of immigration law.

ReputationRep:
    We cant have it all sorry. And we're definitely not getting a points based system lol. The EU are going to be very harsh to deter other countries planning to leave.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    Sorry, but if you're outcompeted by someone with no skills who can't speak English you probably aren't a very attractive employee regardless of immigration law.
    Exactly, but I've heard the argument so many times by those who wanted to leave the EU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    If the Tories have to choose between access to the single market for their company director friends or working class poor hit by cheap migrant labour, there is no contest.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 28, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.