Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm a little confused about the residency eligibility for EU students. I am an Irish citizen and have been resident in Ireland for the past 22 years. I will be starting an MSc at Kings College London in September 2016.

On some Websites, it says you must have been resident in the Eu for the past 3 years, and must be living in England on the 1st of September 2016.

On other websites, it mentions nothing about living in England on the 1st of September. Also, when I rang the student finance England postgrad loan helpline and enquired about this I was told so long as I am living in England for the duration of my masters I am eligible. So again, nothing mentioned about September 1st.

Would you mind clarifying this for me please? If I am not living in England by September 1st (but rather Mid-september) will I still be eligible?

Thank you!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by gallagherorla)
    Hi, I'm a little confused about the residency eligibility for EU students. I am an Irish citizen and have been resident in Ireland for the past 22 years. I will be starting an MSc at Kings College London in September 2016.

On some Websites, it says you must have been resident in the Eu for the past 3 years, and must be living in England on the 1st of September 2016.

On other websites, it mentions nothing about living in England on the 1st of September. Also, when I rang the student finance England postgrad loan helpline and enquired about this I was told so long as I am living in England for the duration of my masters I am eligible. So again, nothing mentioned about September 1st.

Would you mind clarifying this for me please? If I am not living in England by September 1st (but rather Mid-september) will I still be eligible?

Thank you!
    The 1st September date is a proxy used by SFE for "the start of your course"...they are trying to keep the guidance simple (given that masters courses start at all sorts of dates thgroughout the year) but that means sometimes the dates are a bit misleading.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    The 1st September date is a proxy used by SFE for "the start of your course"...they are trying to keep the guidance simple (given that masters courses start at all sorts of dates thgroughout the year) but that means sometimes the dates are a bit misleading.
    Thats good to know, thanks for letting me know.However, I am a bit worried now. I answered no to that question, and now I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't have, Do you think I should cancel my application and submit a new one and answer yes to this question, to indicate I will be in the UK for the beginning and duration of my course?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.