Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been debating whether to go to a sixth form that is walking distance from my home or should I go to a college that requires a train journey and a walk?

The sixth form is alright, but nothing special, whereas the college is quite nice and is a well respected college.

Should I spend the extra time going to the college or not waste my time and stick to somewhere close to home?

P.S At the college I will be taking 3 A-Levels:
    Maths
    Physics
    Computer Science

And at the sixth form I'll be taking 4 :
    Maths
    Physics
    Chemistry
    Computer Science

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Johman)
    I've been debating whether to go to a sixth form that is walking distance from my home or should I go to a college that requires a train journey and a walk?

The sixth form is alright, but nothing special, whereas the college is quite nice and is a well respected college.

Should I spend the extra time going to the college or not waste my time and stick to somewhere close to home?

Maths
    Physics
    Computer Science

Maths
    Physics
    Chemistry
    Computer Science

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How long is the train journey + walk? Does the train run frequently? Do you have enough funds to take the train to school every day?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    How long is the train journey + walk? Does the train run frequently? Do you have enough funds to take the train to school every day?
    The train journey is about 30 minutes and the walk each end is about 15 to 20 minutes. However the trains don't run very often, only once every hour.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Maths
    Physics
    Computer Science

Maths
    Physics
    Chemistry
    Computer Science

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'd say stick with the sixth form. I went somewhere which was a 15-20 minute drive away, but around an hour on bus (which I went on for Year 12). The commute takes a toll as you have to get up earlier and you arrive home later. Unless the sixth form is absolutely awful (mine was), I wouldn't bother with going somewhere further away.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    The train journey is about 30 minutes and the walk each end is about 15 to 20 minutes. However the trains don't run very often, only once every hour.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hm, I see. I travel for around that time to uni and I didn't find it to be much fun but it was okay, especially with a book to read or some music to listen to, although to be fair i didn't always start at 9am. So it'd be manageable but maybe a pain on some days, as you may run the risk of being late or having to come in early to school depending on when the train actually comes.

So it'd be up to you and whether you want to make that sacrifice to go to a better place, or wherever you think you'll be happier. That's one of the key things to success, as well as being an independent and driven learner, even at A-level. Going to a good college helps but it's not absolutely necessary to do well, if you have those two previous things.

ReputationRep:
    i'd say go to the college. i transfered to a sixth form that's in the next town over (so i took a 20 minute walk to train station, 10 minute train journey and another 10 minute walk to the school) and honestly it's worth it to go to a school that gives you more opportunities and where you feel you can succeed; although it could be useful to stay at a more familiar place where the teachers know you and can write a sick UCAS reference. Imo travel shouldn't be a deciding factor; but visit both the college and the sixth form. And for travel expenses, you could always check to see if the college offers a bursary.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, thank you everyone for the replies!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey, Im interested in know what you decided in the end and was it a good decision?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arima)
    i'd say go to the college. i transfered to a sixth form that's in the next town over (so i took a 20 minute walk to train station, 10 minute train journey and another 10 minute walk to the school) and honestly it's worth it to go to a school that gives you more opportunities and where you feel you can succeed; although it could be useful to stay at a more familiar place where the teachers know you and can write a sick UCAS reference. Imo travel shouldn't be a deciding factor; but visit both the college and the sixth form. And for travel expenses, you could always check to see if the college offers a bursary.
    I'd go to the college. I left my old school to go to a sixth form college in the nearest city and honestly I am so glad. So many more people, so many more opportunities. It's really worth doing.
    Unless the college is awful

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.