The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Darkened Angel
Anybody know any good rock/metal bands with a female singer? The only ones I've heard so far are Lacuna Coil and Nightwish.

Doesn't mention Evanescence :ninja:
Within Temptation
After Forever (2 vocalists but the guy is trying to be hardcore)
Arch Enemy! :biggrin:
Light This City
akmd
I'm the total opposite. I love the first few Sepultura albums. Schizophrenia, Beneath The Remains and Arise are all excellent albums. Absolutely essential for anyone who likes Slayer and extreme metal.

Chaos AD is decent but disappointing compared to those three albums. Roots was rubbish. The albums after that are a waste of time.

I dont mind some of Slayers stuff, I love the guitar riff in Reign In Blood but personally I prefer lighter metal.
Reply 262
Hello_Kitty
How did you get hold of Ollie's mobile number??
When I saw them a couple of weeks ago, I'm pretty sure the singer Chris was wasted, and he kept standing on the speakers at the front and would then proceed to fall off onto the floor HARD. I'm pretty sure the gig where they broke stuff was a one off, they didn't do anything like that at Rock City!

We were just chatting on Myspace and he offered it to me so i could cal him and arrange to get on the guest list for their show in Glasgow a few months back. Sadly i couldn't go but i've spoken to him a few times. We were hanging out last night at the gig :smile: . We gave them a penis cake! Which they filmed doing weird stuff with :p: . But they're the coolest guys ever.

The only bad bit was they missed out half the old songs that i really wanted to hear but was good apart from that.
Reply 263
Darkened Angel
Anybody know any good rock/metal bands with a female singer? The only ones I've heard so far are Lacuna Coil and Nightwish.

Epica, Sirenia, After Forever, Xandria, Leaves' Eyes, Within Temptation...

I like black metal, some favourites being Windir, Alcest (although no longer playing black metal), Borknagar, Negurã Bunget and Emperor.

Meads of Asphodel are cool, quite underrated!
I've got a Mayhem/Meads of Asphodel split. I didn't like Meads of Asphodel though, but being juxtaposed with Mayhem is not an easy situation to be in.
Reply 265
Darkened Angel
I dont mind some of Slayers stuff, I love the guitar riff in Reign In Blood but personally I prefer lighter metal.

In that case, try the following:

Black Sabbath
Dream Theater
Iced Earth
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Megadeth
Queensryche
Symphony X
Type O Negative
SmilerNuts

:hmmm: *points to soc name* rock not pop! :rolleyes: :p:

thanks for the suggestions everyone, i'll check em out when i've got the chance.

akmd
In that case, try the following:

Black Sabbath - love some of their stuff, especially Iron Man, awesome song!
Dream Theater - One of my favourite bands, going to see them live in Oct :smile:
Iced Earth - heard some of their stuff, they're pretty good though I havent listened to them in ages.
Iron Maiden - LUV THEM!! Couldnt afford to go see them last November though :frown: Nearly cried :p:
Judas Priest - they're evil!!! was looking at their tour dates then nearly jumped with joy when i saw they're coming to sheffield, but they were 2005 tourdates :frown: update your site goddamn!!
Megadeth - good stuff, havent listened to them much though
Queensryche - heard some stuff, they're alright
Symphony X & Type O Negative - Haven't listened to them, I'll check them out.
Zico Chains coming to Sheffield this September!! :biggrin: Might go see them, it's only £10 :smile: Just need to find out where Casbah is.
Would I get thrown out of this thread as a fan of HIM? *hides*
Found it! It's within walking distance of my uni accomodation :smile: I'll probably go in that case. That's 3 gigs for this year then :biggrin:
Darkened Angel

Megadeth - good stuff, havent listened to them much though

Get Rust in Peace, it will change your life.
Reply 271
CapenCyber
Get Rust in Peace, it will change your life.

Indeed. Awesome album.

You seem pretty clued up on those bands, DA. That's what I like to see. And I'm seeing Dream Theater in October too!
guys... get the new Torche album, its well good :biggrin:
akmd
Indeed. Awesome album.

You seem pretty clued up on those bands, DA. That's what I like to see. And I'm seeing Dream Theater in October too!

Nice one! You going to the Manchester one by any chance?
Will definitely get that Megadeth album. I've currently got their Best Of.

SoundDevastation
otherwise, theres Rolo Tomassi... Gallhammer.. and bands with male/female dual vocals such as Circle Takes The Square and Kylesa.

You listen to some weird **** dude... :p:

I listened to the first two bands and they sound... unhuman :p: I've heard CTTS before and didn't like them. Wasn't too fond of the fourth band either.

SmilerNuts
Within Temptation
After Forever (2 vocalists but the guy is trying to be hardcore)
Arch Enemy! :biggrin:
Light This City

Within Temptation sound good! :smile: They're track 'Frozen' reminds me a bit too much of Evanescence though. The rest are a bit too much :p: After Forever would've just fine if it wasn't for the male vocals.
As for the the last two... wtf is wrong with their voice?!! Women should not sound like that! :eek:

Salain

Epica - not bad, remind me a bit of Nightwish (and its put me in the mood to listen to Nightwish :p:)
Sirenia - Didn't like the singers voice
Xandria - interesting music, I like it!
Leave's Eyes - They sound ok, but dont stand out much to me

Thanks everyone! Got quite a few bands to check out now, not like I haven't got plenty on my pc that I still haven't heard anyway :p:
Reply 275
Darkened Angel
Nice one! You going to the Manchester one by any chance?

Nope. Wembley Arena. I'm also seeing Rush and Heaven & Hell (Black Sabbath with Ronnie James Dio) there.
Ooh Rush. I want to see them in Newcastle but I don't know anyone to go with round 'ere. :frown:
Reply 277
SunburnedCactus
Ooh Rush. I want to see them in Newcastle but I don't know anyone to go with round 'ere. :frown:

I'd try and find someone if I was you. This may be one of the last times they tour this country.
Salain

I like black metal, some favourites being Windir, Alcest (although no longer playing black metal), Borknagar, Negurã Bunget and Emperor.

Meads of Asphodel are cool, quite underrated!

Alcest!!!!! I've ordered the new album, can't wait for that and the re-release of Le Secret, was too late finding that one before it sold out completely. Also waiting on the new Drudkh release.
Is the older Alcest stuff good? ive been listening to the new album, and while its pretty good that stuff isnt always what im into.. i know the older albums are alot heavier..

worth checking out?

Latest