Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does it make sense for one to do masters in Cambridge after graduating from Oxford? Watch

ReputationRep:
    To keep this short and concise: I am about to graduate from Oxford with the PPE bachelor and hold an offer for Mphil in Economics from Cambridge University at
    one of the old-new colleges.

Now, I do need a masters because in my home country there is the Bologna-system tradition which emphasises having masters degree. For example, I have been openly by the major recruiters I would find it hard to advance and that masters degree is necessary as 'everyone has them'.

I am unsure about the idea of being an alumni of both, Oxford and Cambridge. This doesn't sound very good and is, quite frankly, weird.

The huge pros for going to Cambridge is the fact that the programme lasts for just one academic year so I can complete that relatively quickly. In countries such as France, Germany or indeed Poland a lot of programmes last for two academic years.

It is also an inexpensive way to when you compare cost and value.

My other offers include UPenn, Columbia and HEC Paris. However, I can only really afford Columbia because of their partial scholarship for the MA programme.

There is also a way to get another loan to fund my HEC Paris programme which I could repay.

So, to summarise, what would you take in my specific case?

ReputationRep:
    Having a degree from Oxford and a masters degree from Cambridge looks more than just good. Id go for it if I were you. It's a great opportunity that might not happen again. Not to mention, if you know you can afford it and doing it in one year is what suits you best then that's a good reason to go for Cambrigde as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katherine9609)
    Having a degree from Oxford and a masters degree from Cambridge looks more than just good. Id go for it if I were you. It's a great opportunity that might not happen again. Not to mention, if you know you can afford it and doing it in one year is what suits you best then that's a good reason to go for Cambrigde as well
    Do you really think so? You know that there is the enduring tradition of rivalry between the two institutions, so in my opinion it is a bit like going into a Quaker high school and then a Roman Catholic sixth form. It isn't necessarily wrong, but it sure is bizarre.

Another way of looking at it is like overdressing for an interview for a junior position. Saying to your employer (who himself may be an Oxford or Cambridge graduate) that you have been to both is overwhelming and it just has the same effect as overdressing. Do you not think so?

I am really leaning towards Columbia at the moment, but I'll be somewhat in debt (not severely).
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by InvestmentBankin)
    You know that there is the enduring tradition of rivalry between the two institutions, so in my opinion it is a bit like going into a Quaker high school and then a Roman Catholic sixth form. It isn't necessarily wrong, but it sure is bizarre.
    Nonsense! You only have to look at the academic profiles of the current academic community at either/both Ox andCam to see there is absolutely no issue moving between the two and holding qualifications from both. Don't get confused between professional career development and student sports team rivalries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Nonsense! You only have to look at the academic profiles of the current academic community at either/both Ox andCam to see there is absolutely no issue moving between the two and holding qualifications from both. Don't get confused between professional career development and student sports team rivalries.
    Okay do not get so upset. I still think it is bizarre for the reasons I have explained above. I've made the decision now, I am going for Columbia.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    Okay do not get so upset. I still think it is bizarre for the reasons I have explained above. I've made the decision now, I am going for Columbia.
    I'm not upset at all, just pointing out that it's nothing like 'changing faith'. Academics move between the two institutions all the time. The 'rivalry' only genuinely exists between student sports teams, and one shouldn't conflate the two situations and make career decision based on unfounded beliefs.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I am unsure about the idea of being an alumni of both, Oxford and Cambridge. This doesn't sound very good and is, quite frankly, weird.
    Worked out ok for Stephen Hawking...

It's not uncommon.

Here's an FOI request listing the previous universities for Masters applicants at Cambridge. Over 1,000 from Oxford.
    https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...and%20data.pdf
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    And threeportdrift

I've had a more detailed look at that file I linked above.

Cambridge Masters Applicants 2013 to 2016
    MPhil in Economics : 1,635 applicants
    Of which 71 came from Oxford University
    Compared to 119 from Cambridge University

So yeah, not that unusual.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    I've had a more detailed look at that file I linked.

Cambridge Masters Applicants 2013 to 2015
    MPhil in Economics : 1,635 applicants
    Of which 71 came from Oxford University
    Compared to 119 from Cambridge University

So yeah, not that unusual.
    Thank you for both your replies. I'd rep you but I've already done so in one of your previous posts.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Thank you for both your replies. I'd rep you but I've already done so in one of your previous posts.
    Last bit of info

Top Universities prior to applying to any Masters at Cambridge
    1. Cambridge : 7.6%
    2. UCL : 3.0%
    3. Oxford : 2.3%
    4. Imperial : 1.9%
    5. Warwick : 1.9%
    6. LSE : 1.8%
    7. Manchester : 1.3%
    8. Durham : 1.2%
    9. Nottingham : 1.1%
    10. Harvard : 1.1%
    11. KCL : 1.0%
    12. Edinburgh : 1.0%
    13. York : 0.9%
    14. Liverpool : 0.8%
    15. Birmingham : 0.8%
    16. Bristol : 0.7%
    17. Peking : 0.7%
    18. Hong Kong : 0.6%
    19. Exeter : 0.6%
    20. St Andrews : 0.6%

Top Universities by applicants with Offers for any Masters at Cambridge

1. Cambridge : 15.9%
    2. Oxford : 3.4%
    3. UCL : 3.1%
    4. Harvard : 1.9%
    5. Warwick : 1.8%
    6. Imperial : 1.7%
    7. LSE : 1.5%
    8. Durham : 1.2%
    9. KCL : 1.2%
    10. Manchester : 1.2%
    11. Edinburgh : 1.1%
    12. Princeton : 1.0%
    13. York : 0.9%
    14. Yale : 0.8%
    15. Nottingham : 0.8%
    16. St Andrews : 0.7%
    17. Trinity College Dublin : 0.7%
    18. Melbourne : 0.6%
    19. Birmingham : 0.6%
    20. Bristol : 0.6%

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.