Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My life is over, i can't get any good offers from unis i wanna go to Watch

ReputationRep:
    So i took a retest in chem since the first time i gotta D which was 56% and obviously no good fairly respectable uni will take me for that.

Restest again and this time i got a D again.... i got 57.5% which is 1.5% more than last time, i though when i said to my teacher(when he asked me if i though i got better or worse than the last time) it'd be really brilliant if i went up by like 1% yea? i though that wouldn't actually be the case.

Since now that is the truth and 1.5% isn't much difference and there's not much to do i have successfully failed and ruled out any good respectable uni's who could take me.

So what can i do now?
    Can i get a decent job with a decent wage in the future? or am i just going to be of the lower end of the working class?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dskinner)
    So i took a retest in chem since the first time i gotta D which was 56% and obviously no good fairly respectable uni will take me for that.

Restest again and this time i got a D again.... i got 57.5% which is 1.5% more than last time, i though when i said to my teacher(when he asked me if i though i got better or worse than the last time) it'd be really brilliant if i went up by like 1% yea? i though that wouldn't actually be the case.

Since now that is the truth and 1.5% isn't much difference and there's not much to do i have successfully failed and ruled out any good respectable uni's who could take me.

So what can i do now?
    Can i get a decent job with a decent wage in the future? or am i just going to be of the lower end of the working class?
    Well you could apply to more uni's even ones you are not too keen on and go there and work your ass off and come out with some good grades.

ReputationRep:
    Well for a start, what do you intend to apply for? If it's chemistry then you're pretty unlikely to get on a good course, but if it's an unrelated subject some unis would overlook it. What other subjects do you take and what grades have you got on them?

ReputationRep:
    Well how have your other exams gone?

One subject could easily be ignored

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2016_GCSE)
    Well you could apply to more uni's even ones you are not too keen on and go there and work your ass off and come out with some good grades.
    Hmmm i'm not sure, what do people who employ look for these days, i'm really too unsure about what i could do with a maths degree

ReputationRep:
    Apply to other universities even if you think you don't want to go to them, I was gunning for Leeds but there was miscommunication in what I need to get [I was doing a BTEC and they did not specify they wanted certain grades for certain modules, I focused on getting the easier ones up high to come out with a D*D*D*]. I ended up going through clearing, getting in Staffs Uni on a different course. Then I didn't like that course and I am now in a different one and have just finished the first year and I love it! Its best not to think of things being the be all and end all. I did the same thing in college too, started off on A levels, fainted due to stress in an exam and changed to a coursework only BTEC. Sometimes its better to change things up, I'm sure if you work hard enough at a different uni you will manage to come out with a good grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sindyscape62)
    Well for a start, what do you intend to apply for? If it's chemistry then you're pretty unlikely to get on a good course, but if it's an unrelated subject some unis would overlook it. What other subjects do you take and what grades have you got on them?
    A maths course, not chem lol
    I also do
    Chem
    Philosophy
    Maths
    (Original post by Kieran1996)
    Well how have your other exams gone?

One subject could easily be ignored
    Pretty god dam mother****ing ****ed right now since my ****ing philosophy teachers have had 3 weeks to gimme and the rest of their lower 6th classes their ****ing results and they still haven't...
    In any case i know i got an M3 in one of my essays which is a B/C but it's only one essay and that was on the paper 1 and i did pretty bad on paper 1 overall.....

Maths even though i don;'t have my result i can guarantee myself i got an A but i'm a little worried with mechanics since i screwed it up

So Maths-A
    Philosophy-??? (probably average all the marks of my essays to give a final one)
    Chem-D
    so not looking good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GingerScouser)
    Apply to other universities even if you think you don't want to go to them, I was gunning for Leeds but there was miscommunication in what I need to get [I was doing a BTEC and they did not specify they wanted certain grades for certain modules, I focused on getting the easier ones up high to come out with a D*D*D*]. I ended up going through clearing, getting in Staffs Uni on a different course. Then I didn't like that course and I am now in a different one and have just finished the first year and I love it! Its best not to think of things being the be all and end all. I did the same thing in college too, started off on A levels, fainted due to stress in an exam and changed to a coursework only BTEC. Sometimes its better to change things up, I'm sure if you work hard enough at a different uni you will manage to come out with a good grade.
    No offense but some people have called BTEC's courses for "dunces" which is why i was discouraged from doing them :/

ReputationRep:
    A maths course, not chem lol
    I also do
    Chem
    Philosophy
    Maths

Pretty god dam mother****ing ****ed right now since my ****ing philosophy teachers have had 3 weeks to gimme and the rest of their lower 6th classes their ****ing results and they still haven't...
    In any case i know i got an M3 in one of my essays which is a B/C but it's only one essay and that was on the paper 1 and i did pretty bad on paper 1 overall.....

Maths even though i don;'t have my result i can guarantee myself i got an A but i'm a little worried with mechanics since i screwed it up

So Maths-A
    Philosophy-??? (probably average all the marks of my essays to give a final one)
    Chem-D
    so not looking good
    oh crap I never realised you meant A Levels, I was under the impression you were doing GCSEs

have you considered an apprenticeship?

ReputationRep:
    No offense but some people have called BTEC's courses for "dunces" which is why i was discouraged from doing them :/
    I did an Applied Science BTEC, we did just the same work as the A levels except we had a more hands on approach, when I got to uni to do a biology course I actually had an advantage over the A level students as I had experience using a pipette, dissecting, using a microscope properly, having time with larger scientific equipment and so on. All things that the A level students had to be taught to do in uni. The college I went to had a very high standard for the BTEC courses in an effort to curb the stereotype you're saying.

ReputationRep:
    oh crap I never realised you meant A Levels, I was under the impression you were doing GCSEs

have you considered an apprenticeship?
    Haha GCSE is easy... sort of

Nope i haven't i have no idea what they are and what they can do for you, please enlighten me

(Original post by GingerScouser)
    I did an Applied Science BTEC, we did just the same work as the A levels except we had a more hands on approach, when I got to uni to do a biology course I actually had an advantage over the A level students as I had experience using a pipette, dissecting, using a microscope properly, having time with larger scientific equipment and so on. All things that the A level students had to be taught to do in uni. The college I went to had a very high standard for the BTEC courses in an effort to curb the stereotype you're saying.
    Ah so i see.
    My chem teachers makes me do loads of practicals so i get used to that kinda stuff but i barely learn any theory in class which sucks >.>

ReputationRep:
    Haha GCSE is easy... sort of

Nope i haven't i have no idea what they are and what they can do for you, please enlighten me
    Effectively you work and potentially study part time, it means you start low on the ladder but you can work you way up if you're determined and make the correct impressions

Worth a Google search or two
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster

So what can i do now?
    Dont be so dramatic, things arent as bad as you make them out to be.

Identify where you are going wrong.

1. Resit and this time revise properly, learn where you went wrong and practice exams.
    2. Consider doing the course you want but with a foundation year.
    3. Consider whether you are doing the right subject or whether you are academically cit out for your chosen area.
    4. Maybe consider an apprenticeship instead. You will start much lower down the ladder, but if you work hard, get the right employer, then you cna work your way up eventually.

ReputationRep:
    Effectively you work and potentially study part time, it means you start low on the ladder but you can work you way up if you're determined and make the correct impressions

Worth a Google search or two
    oh ok

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Dont be so dramatic, things arent as bad as you make them out to be.

Identify where you are going wrong.

1. Resit and this time revise properly, learn where you went wrong and practice exams.
    2. Consider doing the course you want but with a foundation year.
    3. Consider whether you are doing the right subject or whether you are academically cit out for your chosen area.
    4. Maybe consider an apprenticeship instead. You will start much lower down the ladder, but if you work hard, get the right employer, then you cna work your way up eventually.
    That's the problem, i can't do that because my chem spec is new thus there are no actual past papers for me to do, these current ones are like 80% maths and all the past papers from pervious years are mainly theory so how can i practise this?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    That's the problem, i can't do that because my chem spec is new thus there are no actual past papers for me to do, these current ones are like 80% maths and all the past papers from pervious years are mainly theory so how can i practise this?
    There must be a way, it cnat be that dissimilar. You are going to have to talk to your teacher or get a tutor. Be sure its what you really wnat to do, but theres scope for improvement if you are prepared to work hard. They have probably produced revision books for new specs as well and they should have mock papers in them.

Dont give up you have every opportunity to improve.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    If these are mocks, then talk to the person marking it. If they arent be sure to bisit the exam board website and look for things like mark schemes.
    Other candidates will have the same issues, so just get smart about it. GL anyway.

ReputationRep:
    If these are mocks, then talk to the person marking it. If they arent be sure to bisit the exam board website and look for things like mark schemes.
    Other candidates will have the same issues, so just get smart about it. GL anyway.
    They are but the thing is other people generally don't have the same problem as me, it's just a few handful of people like myself, many other did well in the paper somehow so i should have no excuse for doing bad....

There must be a way, it cnat be that dissimilar. You are going to have to talk to your teacher or get a tutor. Be sure its what you really wnat to do, but theres scope for improvement if you are prepared to work hard. They have probably produced revision books for new specs as well and they should have mock papers in them.

Dont give up you have every opportunity to improve.
    Oh but it is, think about it this way, all that theory you've learned for your chemistry test, all those equations which you've learned, all those reasons for whatever happening and you've got it all under your belt.
    Then when you sit the exam all that theory you've learned is put into a condensed 15 marks 1 mark for each correct answer multiple choice.
    And in the larger part which is in a similar style to past paper questions, has the most difficult topics in with obscure questions which aren't unanswerable, they're just a bit weird. Then when you scroll through the paper you find that every 4 marks for maths questions you get 1 mark of theory questions.

Then you realise all those maths question are worth in total about half the paper and you realise you don't even know how to do the question because you've never done anything like it, then you got those huge 6-8 markers asking you about experiment stuff

Then you realise how you couldn't have done anything more than learn the theory

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.