Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi*

I was wondering if someone is able to help me with this. During my second year I used my gift year as I unfortunately failed university. My own fault. I just finished my third year but I was unable to sit my exams as I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety. It literally had crippled me. I was supporting my family financially as my mother was hospitalised for a period of time and due to pressure of uni and stress at home it made me sick. The first semester I did quite well and got 1st and 2:1 exclusively. I now have to go into my resits which are uncapped and resit 5 examinations in the period of 8 days. They are all law exams. I know that I'll have panic attacks as I just had one last night eventhough my exams are 6 weeks away. I know I am capable of getting the best grades possible but I don't think I'll be able to sit the volume of exams in such a short period of time.*

Does anyone have any advise on Compelling Personal Reasons so I am able to perhaps defer to next year and get a year's extra funding. I have the support of my GP and mental health nurse that I have been seeing since May. I'm wondering whether I would have a strong case.*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IGotThat)
    Hi*

I was wondering if someone is able to help me with this. During my second year I used my gift year as I unfortunately failed university. My own fault. I just finished my third year but I was unable to sit my exams as I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety. It literally had crippled me. I was supporting my family financially as my mother was hospitalised for a period of time and due to pressure of uni and stress at home it made me sick. The first semester I did quite well and got 1st and 2:1 exclusively. I now have to go into my resits which are uncapped and resit 5 examinations in the period of 8 days. They are all law exams. I know that I'll have panic attacks as I just had one last night eventhough my exams are 6 weeks away. I know I am capable of getting the best grades possible but I don't think I'll be able to sit the volume of exams in such a short period of time.*

Does anyone have any advise on Compelling Personal Reasons so I am able to perhaps defer to next year and get a year's extra funding. I have the support of my GP and mental health nurse that I have been seeing since May. I'm wondering whether I would have a strong case.*
    It's difficult, because you pretty much have to take and fail your exams before the Student Finance CPR process can be invoked, and then each application is looked at on its own merits. If you have the support of your GP and other professionals who can write supporting statements, then I don't see why a CPR application wouldn't work.*However, you do need to ensure that the problem is resolved by this time next year or it will just happen again.

Have you approached your uni? They may be able to help to a limited extent. They won't be able to space the exams out, but you might be permitted to sit them in a smaller room which could be less stressful than a large exam hall.

Basically there are no guarantees, as nobody can predict what SF will say in the event that a predicted event actually occurs. Talk to your uni and give your exams your best shot. If you do actually run up against problems, you have as much support for a CPR application as you're going to get.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.