Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    With more strike action being carried out by teachers in England and Wales next week over issues such as poor working conditions, not being paid enough and lack of funding for schools, education is bound to be disrupted. But is this strike action justified?

Whether you're from primary or secondary school, college or even university, are you sympathetic towards those who teach? Should more be done to help these people that are helping to educate future generations? Does your experience with teachers affect your willingness to go into teaching?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    There are a few education modules that I hope to study in the third year of my maths degree, so I hope to be able to make an informed decision later on.

It's not something I would immediately go into, as I'm under the impression there's more money and less stress elsewhere (apart from all the bursaries etc that you get at the start for these subjects with shortages). But as a backup or something to do after finishing a career somewhere else, maybe.

I've always been sympathetic of those who teach, when their job consists of not only trying to motivate people, get people to study and do well in their exams and all of that, but have to control their class as well. There's nothing worse for me than seeing a substitute teacher trying to get a class under control, and you know that they're not keen or doing it or want to look 'weak' or whatever but they have to call in someone else to keep the class quiet for about 5 minutes, then the teacher leaves and it's back to square 1. So I dunno.. if I had the option of just teaching like 6th formers then that would be nice.

So I dunno.. maybe. I'm looking to go into tutoring at some point as a part time thing so that would also help me in making a decision in some way.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    My mum is an FE teacher (and does private tutoring for 3/4 people a week too) and my partner started a pgce and decided to leave, i have great respect for anyone who decides to go into it but i know its something i could never do (my experience of being a child with an SEN really put me off teaching, along with other reasons) . I certainly think that teachers deserve much better for the job they do and are justified in striking.

(Original post by PugDevil)
    With more strike action being carried out by teachers in England and Wales next week over issues such as poor working conditions, not being paid enough and lack of funding for schools, education is bound to be disrupted. But is this strike action justified?

Whether you're from primary or secondary school, college or even university, are you sympathetic towards those who teach? Should more be done to help these people that are helping to educate future generations? Does your experience with teachers affect your willingness to go into teaching?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    There are a few education modules that I hope to study in the third year of my maths degree, so I hope to be able to make an informed decision later on.

It's not something I would immediately go into, as I'm under the impression there's more money and less stress elsewhere (apart from all the bursaries etc that you get at the start for these subjects with shortages). But as a backup or something to do after finishing a career somewhere else, maybe.

I've always been sympathetic of those who teach, when their job consists of not only trying to motivate people, get people to study and do well in their exams and all of that, but have to control their class as well. There's nothing worse for me than seeing a substitute teacher trying to get a class under control, and you know that they're not keen or doing it or want to look 'weak' or whatever but they have to call in someone else to keep the class quiet for about 5 minutes, then the teacher leaves and it's back to square 1. So I dunno.. if I had the option of just teaching like 6th formers then that would be nice.

So I dunno.. maybe. I'm looking to go into tutoring at some point as a part time thing so that would also help me in making a decision in some way.
    Yeah I totally agree with what you're saying. As you've pointed out, a teacher has a lot of responsibility in the classroom and I don't think that's always acknowledged. I always felt quite bad for substitute teachers when I was at secondary school as students would literally see it as an opportunity to cause as much mayhem as they could, as they knew that the substitute teacher would not be able to control the situation as they hadn't gained their respect and thus was facing a downhill battle from the start! Although this wasn't always the case.

As a History undergraduate, people ask me if I plan to go into teaching afterwards but the problem is that I just don't find that it is that appealing? It might be a bit controversial to say this, but I feel that teachers are more justified to strike than say underground tube drivers. Like you've shown, there is nothing really there to be like, 'yes I really want to become a teacher!' Obviously it is probably very rewarding to teach someone and for them to do well, but I think things need to be improved for the teachers at the moment.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by PugDevil)
    Yeah I totally agree with what you're saying. As you've pointed out, a teacher has a lot of responsibility in the classroom and I don't think that's always acknowledged. I always felt quite bad for substitute teachers when I was at secondary school as students would literally see it as an opportunity to cause as much mayhem as they could, as they knew that the substitute teacher would not be able to control the situation as they hadn't gained their respect and thus was facing a downhill battle from the start! Although this wasn't always the case.

As a History undergraduate, people ask me if I plan to go into teaching afterwards but the problem is that I just don't find that it is that appealing? It might be a bit controversial to say this, but I feel that teachers are more justified to strike than say underground tube drivers. Like you've shown, there is nothing really there to be like, 'yes I really want to become a teacher!' Obviously it is probably very rewarding to teach someone and for them to do well, but I think things need to be improved for the teachers at the moment.
    Exactly I think if pupils appreciated that more, then teaching would be more enjoyable / appealing, like I've heard a fair few times where someone has said they wouldn't mind teaching if it weren't for trying to keep kids in check or that if they did, they'd want to stick to 6th form and deal with kids who'll do what they say

:lol: wouldn't want to open a can of worms but I get you yeah, I can see why it might not be an appealing job for most and you're only going to be happy if you're doing something you're passionate about / you enjoy so if that's not teaching then fairs.

ReputationRep:
    Well the way I see it, teaching has such a poor rep at the moment that it would be worthwile pursuing it as a career- maths teachers especially are in short supply and its one of those jobs where once you're got a position its very hard to get sacked so i like the security it brings... also the holidays are so good ... yeh you will still work at the weekend but the 6 week summer holiday isn't something to moan about !

ReputationRep:
    No. Rubbish pay for the amount of stress. Too much red tape. Kids who have no discipline and go home to dysfunctional families who ruin the hard work you've done. Too much paperwork. Lack of support.

It's not the profession that it used to be. You're basically a childminder with a stack of paperwork.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.