Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    It seems there are actually no questions in the application form about other sources of funding - I was hoping I would be able to try applying for the loan, even though I am eligible for some NHS funding (this would be such a small amount that it won't allow me to take up the place on my course and I would rather get a loan then apply for NHS funding)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by dh89)
    It seems there are actually no questions in the application form about other sources of funding - I was hoping I would be able to try applying for the loan, even though I am eligible for some NHS funding (this would be such a small amount that it won't allow me to take up the place on my course and I would rather get a loan then apply for NHS funding)
    Hi

You won't be able to get a Postgraduate Loan if you're able to apply for any funding from the NHS. The online application would pick this up from your course details.

We'd recommend you speak to your university about any other sources of funding available to you.

Laura

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to keep digging, this is an intercalated MSc course, so the eligibility lies more with my status as a medical student rather then the course itself.

ReputationRep:
    As in, it's not a healthcare course normally funded by the NHS
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by dh89)
    As in, it's not a healthcare course normally funded by the NHS
    What course are you studying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura SFE)
    What course are you studying?
    I will be starting a year-long MSc in Control of Infectious Diseases at London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.
    This course is NOT normally eligible for NHS funding.
    However, because I'm currently a medical student and this will be my intercalation year, I think NHS can contribute to it. But they won't pay the full amount of my tuition fees - only 3,465 out of 8,700.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by dh89)
    I will be starting a year-long MSc in Control of Infectious Diseases at London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.
    This course is NOT normally eligible for NHS funding.
    However, because I'm currently a medical student and this will be my intercalation year, I think NHS can contribute to it. But they won't pay the full amount of my tuition fees - only 3,465 out of 8,700.
    Thanks

You can apply for a Postgraduate Loan for your intercaleted year, as long as your not eligible for any NHS funding for this course (you should double check this with NHSBSA or your university). If you're able to apply for any NHS funding for the part of your course you won't be able to get a Postgraduate Loan.

Because your undergraduate course is Medicine you'll be able to apply for student finance as you have for the rest of your course to finish your undergraduate degree once you've been awarded the MSc.

Laura

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, Laura, for clarification.
    I think that's basically a no, as I'm aware already that I will receive some contribution towards the fees from NHS, therefore I will not be applying.
    Just as feedback though, I think if you don't specifically ask in the application form about other sources of funding, you might not pick up students in my situation (although I only got to section 6 and didn't want to accidentally submit).
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by dh89)
    Thanks, Laura, for clarification.
    I think that's basically a no, as I'm aware already that I will receive some contribution towards the fees from NHS, therefore I will not be applying.
    Just as feedback though, I think if you don't specifically ask in the application form about other sources of funding, you might not pick up students in my situation (although I only got to section 6 and didn't want to accidentally submit).
    Thanks for the feedback, I'll pass that on to the team developing the application, good luck with your course!

Laura

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.