Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    undefined
    undefinedundefined
    Hello guys -
    I am hoping to come to the RVC in september and wanted to know if any of you will be going :rolleyes:
    CYA THERE
    :cool: :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by masiftinkerbell)
    undefined
    undefinedundefined
    Hello guys -
    I am hoping to come to the RVC in september and wanted to know if any of you will be going :rolleyes:
    CYA THERE
    :cool: :confused:
    There are quite a few people on the board who will be going. I had an offer but have decided on Liverpool and Edinburgh - did you get in anywhere else?

ReputationRep:
    well, I recieved 3 offers, didn't get into liverpool, declined cambridge (not my scene), bristols my insurance. Why did you decline london?

ReputationRep:
    well, I recieved 3 offers, didn't get into liverpool, declined cambridge (not my scene), bristols my insurance. Why did you decline london?
    I also had the offer from Bristol (4 in total). Basically, I really liked Liverpool and it had been the best vet school 2 years in a row + many other reasons. London was too expensive really for the same degree.

ReputationRep:
    But liverpool is also last in some other league tables too!?? Times online and BBC.... you should take a look.... league tables dont really mean anything, all the vet school are equally good and there positions change in the tables frequently, they only usually differ by a small fraction of a percentage in the high 90s! London has better international relations with the AVMA link and being at the centre of research.... I dunno, I just think uni life there too would be way cool. They have loads of new facilities too in the second campus as of this year which are really good and if your planning to work there then the salary makes up for the cost of living. Im not too worried about the cost either.... I have generous parents! Im sharing a flat with this really cool girl studying drama at london guildhall school of drama in russel square so I am really looking forward to it! I do wish I got the offer from liverpool... but only for my ego! LOL.... sorry for sounding *****y but just want to start a bit of a debate as it annoys me why so many people like liverpool for no real apparent reason other then league table statistical shite! :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    ...so many people like liverpool for no real apparent reason other then league table statistical
    I think lots of ppl like Liverpool as generally it is seen to concentrate more on large animals and horses rather than domestic small animals. I could be wrong however.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoofbeat)
    I think lots of ppl like Liverpool as generally it is seen to concentrate more on large animals and horses rather than domestic small animals. I could be wrong however.
    That has been the common conception for quite a while and as such - with money from the Centenary the veterinary school is opening a new small animal hospital to rival edinburgh's! There will also be some student accommodation at the clinical site also - a student village. Basically there are a lot of reasons for why Liverpool is so well regarded. I personally liked the fact that there are quite a few mature/graduate students and some from overseas. The opportunities for intercalation are good, and the staff and students I met were very kind and welcoming - much more so than others I have visited. However, I did like RVC and would have placed them as my insurance had it not been for the expense of living there, and the size of the intake. Even though it has AVMA accreditation - so does Edinburgh and Glasgow, although to be honest, I would have thought that for the majority of people just getting into a vet school would be their primary concern - and probably to just be given the chance to practice in our country.

ReputationRep:
    The scottish unis do not have AVMA accreditation... there are only 2 unis in europe who do have it - the RVC being one of them. The RVC has the largest intake from abroad - coming from abroad myself i think i shoud know!!!!....LOL
    Yes I do agree most people just want to get onto a vet course, but we had more then 1 offer and im talking about the choices we made. I also agree that less people in london seem to be so "friendly", but this may have something to do with the fact that the emphasis is a lot more on individuality and it is a much larger vet school! I dunno - they are all good to be fair tho. :rolleyes: :cool:

ReputationRep:
    The scottish unis do not have AVMA accreditation... there are only 2 unis in europe who do have it - the RVC being one of them. The RVC has the largest intake from abroad - coming from abroad myself i think i shoud know!!!!....LOL
    Yes I do agree most people just want to get onto a vet course, but we had more then 1 offer and im talking about the choices we made. I also agree that less people in london seem to be so "friendly", but this may have something to do with the fact that the emphasis is a lot more on individuality and it is a much larger vet school! I dunno - they are all good to be fair tho. :rolleyes: :cool:

Both of the Scottish Vet Schools DO have AVMA - www.vet.ed.ac.uk it says so!

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmmmm ok..... im so confused now!....LOL.... was only trying to wind you up! But seriously thought, who is going to the RVC?

ReputationRep:
    I got an offer from RVC but I also got offers from Glasgow and Edinburgh so I have declined my RVC offer, basically cos I prefered the Scottish unis (and yes they BOTH have the AVMA - I think Glasgow was the first to get it ). I'm hopefully going to Glasgow (grades depending) with Edin as my insurance. I didn't want to live in Camden, didn't want to pay the costs of living in London, I live about an hour away and so would have been very unlikely to get any accommodation (I have a friend who is now in that situation) and basically I didn't want to live near home, I felt it was time I stood on my own two feet. The people, atmosphere, course etc all seemed more 'me' at Glasgow hence why it's my first choice.

ReputationRep:
    Masiftinkerbell, what's your offer from Bristol? My offer from RVC was AAB and from Bristol AAA. So even if Bristol wasn't my first choice anyway, there would have been no point in putting it as insurance. Is your offer from Bristol lower than AAA?

ReputationRep:
    No its not lower then AAA, but sometimes when you dont get the grades they accept you anyway so it is worth putting it. Where r u going?

ReputationRep:
    Bristol. I'm hoping that if don't quite get the grades they'll still take me. I think I did OK in my exams but there's still this nagging doubt that reminds me that the Chemistry exams were pretty horrendous and that an A in Maths was a long-shot anyway.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 11, 2004
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.