Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if people knew what the competition ratios are like for external applicants, in particular the cardiovascular sciences one. Also of any other similar physiology/cardiovascular themed intercalations?*
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by RoadRunner)
    I was wondering if people knew what the competition ratios are like for external applicants, in particular the cardiovascular sciences one. Also of any other similar physiology/cardiovascular themed intercalations?*
    I do the MRes in Cardiovascular Sciences at Newcastle. Depends when during the MBBS you're intercalating as to if you can do a masters or not though. Don't know anything about the Imperial BSc though, sorry!

ReputationRep:
    I would be intercalating after my 4th year. Hmm okay will give that a look, how did you find the course?*
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by RoadRunner)
    I would be intercalating after my 4th year. Hmm okay will give that a look, how did you find the course?*
    Yeh you can intercalate into a masters then (I intercalated after 4th as well). It's good - allows both breadth and depth. You pick 3 optional modules (one of them is the named module, e.g. cardiovascular science, it's what your degree is in) and they can be in whatever - I did cardiovascular, diabetes and ageing because that's what my interests are. But you can chop and change as much as you like, there's modules in most things you'd want to study at a postgraduate level (e.g. immunology, genetics, cancer, etc..) and also a few left-field things (global health, epidemiology, surgical anatomy) so you can tailor the course to exactly what you want. There's no "set" modules. As well as those 3 modules, there's an introduction to medical statistics/ethics module as well that you'd need no matter what subject area you're in. It's predominantly research degree though - these modules are just to improve your baseline research knowledge in an area before you're let loose. Semester 1 is taught (credits equivalent to an MSc) and then semesters 2 and 3 is a long research project, and you have to submit a thesis.

e: I would suggest you look around masters intercalations rather than bachelors. It's more bang for your buck (in terms of degree itself, in terms of the knowledge and in terms of research opportunities) and I suspect it's going to become the norm for medics to have masters degrees rather than bachelors in the fairly near future, particularly given the large rise in MRes/MSc/etc intercalation.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.