samuel303
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello all, i'm starting my extended diploma in ICT in September , its level 3 so im doing the highest level available before i head to university and want to get a head start, what sort of topics should i study and does anybody know good websites for ICT/Mathematics learning? would be very much appreciated
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by samuel303)
Hello all, i'm starting my extended diploma in ICT in September , its level 3 so im doing the highest level available before i head to university and want to get a head start, what sort of topics should i study and does anybody know good websites for ICT/Mathematics learning? would be very much appreciated
What kind of concepts will it be covering/do you want to learn?
InvestmentBankin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Boolean Algebra
Algorithms
Number Theory
Fibonacci numbers
Cryptography - if you get Chinese Remainder Theorem used for complex password generation in internet security then you are doing extremely well
samuel303
Rep:
?
(Original post by shadowdweller)
What kind of concepts will it be covering/do you want to learn?
Thanks for the reply

Not much to go on, the course kbterview wasnt very in depth but the course will be covering:-
Hardware & Software
Programming
Web design and development
Networking
Data analysis
Maths for IT.

That is all that is covered in the course
samuel303
Rep:
?
(Original post by InvestmentBankin)
Boolean Algebra
Algorithms
Number Theory
Fibonacci numbers
Cryptography - if you get Chinese Remainder Theorem used for complex password generation in internet security then you are doing extremely well
Thanks for your reply i have replied in a post above about what i am doing on my course.

Any websites you know of that can help me learn these please?
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks for the reply

Not much to go on, the course kbterview wasnt very in depth but the course will be covering:-
Hardware & Software
Programming
Web design and development
Networking
Data analysis
Maths for IT.

That is all that is covered in the course
Codecademy is decent for Programming and Web Design!

Take a look over at Coursera too, which might have some good stuff for some of the other areas
kkboyk
Report 4 years ago
CodeWars, edx, just search for a book on amazon and then type in the name of the book on googled followed by '.pdf' to search for a free electronic copy. Also MIT Opencourseware has good tutorials
samuel303
Rep:
?
Thanks for replies, ill take a look at these websites in the upcoming days and weeks and update
jezthedeveloper
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
CS50 is good too but very introductory, though does cover some rather interesting points at the various points during the Introduction to Computer Science.

http://cs50.tv/2015/fall/

If you want to go more developer style you might want to check out TutsPlus, they do charge for their courses but at £15 a month it's not really too bad really, or free for 11 days I think it is

https://tutsplus.com
jezthedeveloper
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Plus there are some free tutorials on TutsPlus as well, just have to look out for them.
samuel303
Rep:
?
Thanks for the replies all, think i have enough to go on for the it side, any areas of mathematics i should learn beforehand? Dont know much currently
Atlas Thugged
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Khan academy.
sketchymofo2
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks for the replies all, think i have enough to go on for the it side, any areas of mathematics i should learn beforehand? Dont know much currently
if your looking to program discrete mathematics are what your after.
Some pure maths calculus can help as well but generally having an understanding of linear algebra will help out in understanding algorithms
pr_euler
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi Sam,

You should definitely have a look at the website for Project Euler (my namesake).

It has hundreds of mathematics challenges that you are supposed to solve with a programming language of your choice, and an answer forum thread for every question, and it tracks your progress too.

It's really quite good, you should have a look! I have found that by attempting to solve these problems I learn a lot more and have more fun while I do it.

Best of luck

Ps Euler was a famous Swiss mathematician, you can thank him for the e exponent (e^x).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (22)
17.32%
I'm not sure (3)
2.36%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (41)
32.28%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.36%
I'm not a current university student (58)
45.67%

Watched Threads