Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello all, i'm starting my extended diploma in ICT in September , its level 3 so im doing the highest level available before i head to university and want to get a head start, what sort of topics should i study and does anybody know good websites for ICT/Mathematics learning? would be very much appreciated
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by samuel303)
    Hello all, i'm starting my extended diploma in ICT in September , its level 3 so im doing the highest level available before i head to university and want to get a head start, what sort of topics should i study and does anybody know good websites for ICT/Mathematics learning? would be very much appreciated
    What kind of concepts will it be covering/do you want to learn?

ReputationRep:
    Boolean Algebra
    Algorithms
    Number Theory
    Fibonacci numbers
    Cryptography - if you get Chinese Remainder Theorem used for complex password generation in internet security then you are doing extremely well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    What kind of concepts will it be covering/do you want to learn?
    Thanks for the reply

Not much to go on, the course kbterview wasnt very in depth but the course will be covering:-
    Hardware & Software
    Programming
    Web design and development
    Networking
    Data analysis
    Maths for IT.

That is all that is covered in the course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InvestmentBankin)
    Boolean Algebra
    Algorithms
    Number Theory
    Fibonacci numbers
    Cryptography - if you get Chinese Remainder Theorem used for complex password generation in internet security then you are doing extremely well
    Thanks for your reply i have replied in a post above about what i am doing on my course.

Any websites you know of that can help me learn these please?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Thanks for the reply

Not much to go on, the course kbterview wasnt very in depth but the course will be covering:-
    Hardware & Software
    Programming
    Web design and development
    Networking
    Data analysis
    Maths for IT.

That is all that is covered in the course
    Codecademy is decent for Programming and Web Design!

Take a look over at Coursera too, which might have some good stuff for some of the other areas

ReputationRep:
    CodeWars, edx, just search for a book on amazon and then type in the name of the book on googled followed by '.pdf' to search for a free electronic copy. Also MIT Opencourseware has good tutorials

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for replies, ill take a look at these websites in the upcoming days and weeks and update

ReputationRep:
    CS50 is good too but very introductory, though does cover some rather interesting points at the various points during the Introduction to Computer Science.

http://cs50.tv/2015/fall/

If you want to go more developer style you might want to check out TutsPlus, they do charge for their courses but at £15 a month it's not really too bad really, or free for 11 days I think it is

https://tutsplus.com

ReputationRep:
    Plus there are some free tutorials on TutsPlus as well, just have to look out for them.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies all, think i have enough to go on for the it side, any areas of mathematics i should learn beforehand? Dont know much currently

ReputationRep:
    Khan academy.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies all, think i have enough to go on for the it side, any areas of mathematics i should learn beforehand? Dont know much currently
    if your looking to program discrete mathematics are what your after.
    Some pure maths calculus can help as well but generally having an understanding of linear algebra will help out in understanding algorithms

ReputationRep:
    Hi Sam,

You should definitely have a look at the website for Project Euler (my namesake).

It has hundreds of mathematics challenges that you are supposed to solve with a programming language of your choice, and an answer forum thread for every question, and it tracks your progress too.

It's really quite good, you should have a look! I have found that by attempting to solve these problems I learn a lot more and have more fun while I do it.

Best of luck

Ps Euler was a famous Swiss mathematician, you can thank him for the e exponent (e^x).

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 25, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.