The Student Room Group

support packs for suicidal teenagers in hospital

hi, im looking for ideas to put into a support pack for teenagers who have attempted suicide or self harm or have mental health issues that are in hospital. its a really good idea and would be beneficial to the teens that receive them. so far we have these ideas :

inspirational quotes
hope box ideas
self help cards
hope cards
a list of self harm distractions

any ideas would be amazing and greatly appreiatated

Scroll to see replies

This is such a nice idea! I run a recovery account on Instagram where I help people through difficult times and I love seeing things like this! Off the top of my head you could put in calming colouring books for adults that are filled with beautiful patterns designed to relax you. Of course those can be quite expensive so if you can find cheap ones then that would be a good idea! Or tiny gifts to help distract them from self harm like a small journal or book to paint in or write in or maybe you could give them mini books filled with nice stories for them to read from time to time. Those are just some quick ideas :smile:. I hope this goes well!
Reply 2
Original post by bluefireghost
hi, im looking for ideas to put into a support pack for teenagers who have attempted suicide or self harm or have mental health issues that are in hospital. its a really good idea and would be beneficial to the teens that receive them. so far we have these ideas :

inspirational quotes
hope box ideas
self help cards
hope cards

That's the last thing someone might want if they are really depressed to be honest. Of course, they could still offer them? I think a plush toy would be nice, especially for the younger ones, but not sure if they would be allowed one due to health and safety.
Original post by sophee642
This is such a nice idea! I run a recovery account on Instagram where I help people through difficult times and I love seeing things like this! Off the top of my head you could put in calming colouring books for adults that are filled with beautiful patterns designed to relax you. Of course those can be quite expensive so if you can find cheap ones then that would be a good idea! Or tiny gifts to help distract them from self harm like a small journal or book to paint in or write in or maybe you could give them mini books filled with nice stories for them to read from time to time. Those are just some quick ideas :smile:. I hope this goes well!

thanks sophee642 for your ideas , really appreciate it :smile:
Original post by Ciel.
That's the last thing someone might want if they are really depressed to be honest. Of course, they could still offer them? I think a plush toy would be nice, especially for the younger ones, but not sure if they would be allowed one due to health and safety.

Ciel , the idea of the support packs are to give people hope. I don't know if you have ever been in hospital due to a suicide attempt but I have. hope is the one thing that keeps you going. its makes you want to fight. so by giving hope to someone they may choose to fight, to keep going.
Reply 5
Ciel , the idea of the support packs are to give people hope. I don't know if you have ever been in hospital due to a suicide attempt but I have. hope is the one thing that keeps you going. its makes you want to fight. so by giving hope to someone they may choose to fight, to keep going.

I know what the idea is, my point is that some people are pissed off because they survived, and hope is the last thing they want.
Still, it's nice of you <3
SWEETS!! Those little bags of haribo are really good. :smile:

The first time I was in hospital my mum brought me 2 cans of coca-cola. I'm a huge soda fiend so this made me really happy. (I did have to drink them while being supervised but it was totally worth it)

inspirational quotes
hope box ideas
self help cards
hope cards

I've attempted suicide before and honestly, the things you mentioned wouldn't help in the slightest. They'd only make me want to attempt again in fact.

Suicidal people need serious mental help, not self help boxes
Anonymous 1 is right.

Yours is an absolutely beautiful and lovely idea but as someone who have attempted suicide multiple times and ended up in hospital (I've recovered from depression now), the help boxes would make me feel a lot worse. I would feel like as if someone is attempting to 'fix' me and make me even more angry.

Nice thoughts though.
Reply 9
Original post by Sabertooth
SWEETS!! Those little bags of haribo are really good. :smile:

The first time I was in hospital my mum brought me 2 cans of coca-cola. I'm a huge soda fiend so this made me really happy. (I did have to drink them while being supervised but it was totally worth it)

Yes, junk food is the way to go. When I was hospitalised, my sister bought me so much sweets, biscuits and crisps because she thought I wasn't being fed properly. :laugh: She also got me new comfy clothes, and a Game of Thrones hoodie. :colondollar:

@bluefireghost yeah, I have to agree with Anon 1 and Anon 2 on this, however. Inspiration quotes make me feel even more pathetic, they sound useless. Most times people just want to feel loved. Feeling loved gives me more hope than anything else.
Original post by Anonymous
I've attempted suicide before and honestly, the things you mentioned wouldn't help in the slightest. They'd only make me want to attempt again in fact.

Suicidal people need serious mental help, not self help boxes

I've attempted suicide 3 times (although never been hospitalised beyond treatment for the overdose itself). And the kind of stuff OP mentioned pisses me off constantly. I don't want 'inspirational quotes' that make me feel like a failure or abstract ideas of 'hope'.
A good idea
I'm with the majority here. When I felt suicidal / depressed, I just wanted a hug and someone to talk to.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
I've attempted suicide 3 times (although never been hospitalised beyond treatment for the overdose itself). And the kind of stuff OP mentioned pisses me off constantly. I don't want 'inspirational quotes' that make me feel like a failure or abstract ideas of 'hope'.

Yeah, pisses me off to and would make me feel even more worthless than before, hence why it would drive me to attempt again. Definitely agree with you there
I don't know what's allowed on psych wards but if I was hospitalised I'd want to receive stuff from my friends and family to remind me they care and are still thinking of me, not just some generic crap from a randomer.
When I was in hospital I just wanted my belt back so my trousers didn't keep falling down :smile:. If you could include that in your pack that would be great.
Reply 16
Original post by McNuggetsAhoy
When I was in hospital I just wanted my belt back so my trousers didn't keep falling down :smile:. If you could include that in your pack that would be great.

From my knowledge of psych hospitals; there's absolutely no way that'd get to you for obvious reasons :/
Reply 17
Original post by Deyesy
From my knowledge of psych hospitals; there's absolutely no way that'd get to you for obvious reasons :/

They didn't even let me have nail polish, they kept it in the back rooms.:s-smilie:
Original post by Airmed
They didn't even let me have nail polish, they kept it in the back rooms.:s-smilie:

Maybe they thought you'd drink it? :puke:

I had to write everything in crayon because pens and pencils weren't allowed.
Reply 19
Original post by Airmed

There's not allowing things as a precautionary measure and then there's that... :colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest