The Student Room Group

Does freedom of speech actually exist

i've noticed recently many people (not on here) complaining about micheal moore, and saying he shouldn't be allowed to say the things he does.

another issue linked to this question is the issue of censorship. which is now heavily noticable in music, with record companies often telling bands to change the lyrics of their songs before the company will release an album.

what do you think on these issues
Reply 1
Presenting lies as fact is what michael moore is hated for, he has every right to state his opinions, but to pass them off as fact when everyone knows they are blatant lies should be a crime.
Reply 2
AntiLiberal
Presenting lies as fact is what michael moore is hated for, he has every right to state his opinions, but to pass them off as fact when everyone knows they are blatant lies should be a crime.

Everybody knows is a bit ambitious. Bush lies. Moore lies. It goes two ways and in all the confusion everybody "doesn't know". :smile:
Reply 3
tkfmbp
Bush lies.

since youre determined to repeat it on multiple threads..

which Bush 'lies' are you referring to?
Reply 4
We have freedom of speech within the constraints of the commonly acknowledged definition of freedom - which is really quite limiting.
Reply 5
vienna95
since youre determined to repeat it on multiple threads..

which Bush 'lies' are you referring to?

The lie that he won an election fairly ? Or the one that he really cares about the world but won't sign environmental agreements ? In anycase, i wasn't having a go at Bush, i was merely making the point that everyone lies and since Bush and Moore are somewhat of adversaries, it might be suitable to realise the confusion that these lies can cause.
Reply 6
More to the point. It was part of the verb to lie. "bush lies" is not a noun then noun. its a noun verb. so i wasn't refering to any lies in the first place.
Reply 7
i feel that what exists is sort of a controlled freedom.... which is freedom within a certain boundary..... which might be considered as not being freedom at all.......paradox.

Latest

Trending

Trending