Poll: Who would make the best Labour leader now?
Jeremy Corbyn (479)
46.1%
Tom Watson (43)
4.14%
Angela Eagle (62)
5.97%
Hilary Benn (90)
8.66%
Yvette Cooper (51)
4.91%
Andy Burnham (76)
7.31%
Dan Jarvis (38)
3.66%
Someone else (200)
19.25%
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Who would make the best Labour leader going forwards?

This person has to deal with a rudderless country that will drift into increasing chaos under an ideological Tory government obsessed with austerity and the destruction of public services. There will be nobody to defend against that without strong leadership.

Unfortunately, that seems to be lacking. Corbyn is a decent man, but he seems incapable of brief political statements, soundbites or concisely giving his views, he has a hatred of being interviewed, hardly a useful attribute for a top politician and he is slow and unconvincing in Parliament. He surely must go.

Who is best to replace him?

* Dan Jarvis - solid centrist appeal and has a good media image, but not necessarily popular with Labour members
* Tom Watson - likeable, does well in media but seems difficult to picture as PM or leader.
* Angela Eagle - does well in Parliament, comes across badly on media
* Andy Burnham - very flat and unconvincing
* Hilary Benn - the obvious choice and Prime Ministerial but says he won't stand, inexplicably
* Yvette Cooper - is a serious and experienced politician but seems to lack something
* Jeremy Corbyn - see above.

Who should do the job??

Will it help? Or have Labour's problems become unfixable?
ATW1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
None of those. The least worst option for Labour would be Dan Jarvis.
Desi123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Corbyn
JamesN88
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Andy Burnham is out of the picture, he's running to be mayor of Greater Manchester.

I'd say Dan Jarvis if he decides to stand.
SaucissonSecCy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Lol, it's on TSR too. I find it utterly bizarre how everyone is obsessed with Labour's leadership. We just voted to be independent for god's sake.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You don't rate Chukka? Everyone was fawning over him last time around.

And what about a miraculous second coming for the other Miliband?
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by Drewski)
You don't rate Chukka? Everyone was fawning over him last time around.

And what about a miraculous second coming for the other Miliband?
I only left Chukka out because he hasn't said he will stand and he stood down abruptly last time.

Lol, I think Ed's had his day. Although some see a comeback for Tony in the medium term. :eek:
BenC1997
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Bring back Blair.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
I only left Chukka out because he hasn't said he will stand and he stood down abruptly last time.

Lol, I think Ed's had his day. Although some see a comeback for Tony in the medium term. :eek:
I deliberately said the other Miliband. The one who's in his New York office with his head in his hands, no doubt. The one who should have got the job time before last
Fenice
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Who would make the best Labour leader going forwards?

This person has to deal with a rudderless country that will drift into increasing chaos under an ideological Tory government obsessed with austerity and the destruction of public services. There will be nobody to defend against that without strong leadership.

Unfortunately, that seems to be lacking. Corbyn is a decent man, but he seems incapable of brief political statements, soundbites or concisely giving his views, he has a hatred of being interviewed, hardly a useful attribute for a top politician and he is slow and unconvincing in Parliament. He surely must go.

Who is best to replace him?

* Tom Watson - likeable, does well in media but seems difficult to picture as PM or leader.
* Angela Eagle - does well in Parliament, comes across badly on media
* Andy Burnham - very flat and unconvincing
* Hilary Benn - the obvious choice and Prime Ministerial but says he won't stand, inexplicably
* Yvette Cooper - is a serious and experienced politician but seems to lack something
* Jeremy Corbyn - see above.

Who should do the job??

Will it help? Or have Labour's problems become unfixable?
You have deliberately excluded Dan Jarvis, the bookies' favourite
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Although some see a comeback for Tony in the medium term. :eek:
.... noooo way :eek3: Who is saying that?
Fenice
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
So you'll include someone who has said they won't stand but not someone who hasn't said whether they will

What is it with you and weird, logicless polls
Fenice
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by BenC1997)
Bring back Blair.
I would actually love Blair to become leader again. He'd take Boris' ridiculous hair and use it to mop the floor of the House
BenC1997
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Fenice)
I would actually love Blair to become leader again. He'd take Boris' ridiculous hair and use it to mop the floor of the House
The comment was by no means made in jest, no one in labour is currently going to win back the labour heartlands in the North and the Midlands. Of course, Blair himself may not do this, but he would at least bring charismatic and convincing leadership, pragmatic foreign policy and sound economic thinking to the table.

That said, his overly pro-EU and immigration stances won't win back the large swathes of support labour are currently losing, but I'd dare say he'd do a better job than the current circus of contenders.

He is a born leader and quality opposition, something labour have been deprived of since 2007.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
So you'll include someone who has said they won't stand but not someone who hasn't said whether they will

What is it with you and weird, logicless polls
Chukka won't be standing.
Dan Jarvis was a mistake, sorry, I meant to put him in! I wish you could edit polls after they are posted, but sadly not, so I've asked the mods if they can add it.

thanks.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
.... noooo way :eek3: Who is saying that?
There have been a few articles in the media. There's a theory doing the rounds in Westminster that the party will eventually turn to him out of desperation.

Perhaps it won't be the Labour Party though. :teehee:

Actually, with the party perhaps splitting imminently, I think we might soon have two Labour Parties on our hands. So perhaps Blair can lead one and Corbyn the other.
MrJAKEE
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'll be honest but most of those mentioned are terrible. Dan Jarvis would be a good pick but he doesn't want to stand. For some reason people like Chukka but I don't see why. I've heard many people online say that the Labour party need a young leader who is similar to Justin Trudeau aka Tony Blair, but I don't know any upcoming labour MPs that could be PM post referendum.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by Drewski)
I deliberately said the other Miliband. The one who's in his New York office with his head in his hands, no doubt. The one who should have got the job time before last
Well, same answer - I think David died the death as future leader when he buckled under pressure the first time.

The real shame of the current situation is Hilary Benn, who would be very effective as leader and would certainly outdo Johnson or May in the Commons. Can't think why he won't stand, it's almost like he's scared, which I suppose rules him out anyway, but still a pity.
SaucissonSecCy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by BenC1997)
The comment was by no means made in jest, no one in labour is currently going to win back the labour heartlands in the North and the Midlands. Of course, Blair himself may not do this, but he would at least bring charismatic and convincing leadership, pragmatic foreign policy and sound economic thinking to the table.

That said, his overly pro-EU and immigration stances won't win back the large swathes of support labour are currently losing, but I'd dare say he'd do a better job than the current circus of contenders.

He is a born leader and quality opposition, something labour have been deprived of since 2007.
It would be funny to see Labour try it, and completely miss the point about what happened to their vote. Also we have Chilcott coming up, where he is getting an arse kicking. More money and less stress for him doing other stuff.
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ATW1)
None of those. The least worst option for Labour would be Dan Jarvis.
You have deliberately excluded Dan Jarvis, the bookies' favourite
Chukka won't be standing.
Dan Jarvis was a mistake, sorry, I meant to put him in! I wish you could edit polls after they are posted, but sadly not, so I've asked the mods if they can add it.

thanks.
I have added him in. Let me know if anyone wants to change their vote
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (10)
21.74%
No (36)
78.26%

Watched Threads