Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Brexit and translation for EU languages watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am studying French and German currently and had a career planned as a translator.

I have no back-up and I don't see what else I can work in (never wanted to be a teacher but now may have to).

Now very worried.

Any advice appreciated.

(Also, what is the current average starting and median salaries for translation? Websites say average starting is 18k a year, and average median is 25-30k? Does that bear any resemblance to reality? Also, do you think Brexit will mean a decline not only in number of jobs but also salaries? Thanks)

ReputationRep:
    Hi J_89,

I'm a careers adviser at a University. First of all - don't worry! Our students go onto a range of different careers (e.g. copy writing, management, marketing, training). Have a look on Prospects to give you a few ideas of where your subject can lead, or go to your university careers service - they can help.

Many translators work freelance. Speaking more than one language (in addition to your mother tongue) is good, but you need to be almost bilingual in the languages. It also helps if you have knowledge in another area of work, e.g. Business, Science, Law. Think about the kind of work you are likely to get - many translate legal texts or emerging scientific research, so it's an advantage to be familiar with the language related to a specific sector.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Uni_adviser)
    Hi J_89,

I'm a careers adviser at a University. First of all - don't worry! Our students go onto a range of different careers (e.g. copy writing, management, marketing, training). Have a look on Prospects to give you a few ideas of where your subject can lead, or go to your university careers service - they can help.

Many translators work freelance. Speaking more than one language (in addition to your mother tongue) is good, but you need to be almost bilingual in the languages. It also helps if you have knowledge in another area of work, e.g. Business, Science, Law. Think about the kind of work you are likely to get - many translate legal texts or emerging scientific research, so it's an advantage to be familiar with the language related to a specific sector.

Good luck!
    Many thanks for your reply.

I am planning on going to university as a mature student and am wondering what I should.

I currently speak 1 foreign language fluently (and have been learning it for 13 years) to the extent where I have worked as a customer service and sales representative in this language, but I am not at near native level yet (although could be in 3 years with degree study), I have the opportunity to study that and another language at university (I am a virtual beginner/intermediate to the other language).

Do you think it would be better for me to study the language I am advanced at with another subject (it will likely be politics and economics) or take the second language too?

My thinking was that 2 languages will help me find language related work more easily than 1.

However, I am now thinking that although I am a natural linguist and the degree is extremely intense (40 hours per week including monitored self study), I may not be able to get up to working ability in the other language in 3 years.

What do you think?

(Also - do you normally find that university language graduates can work in a directly language using career (except obviously teaching) or do they normally go on to use/learn other skills?)

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Marketing,Sales ad PR Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.