Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry im new to Studentroom.

I am/was a Mathematics Student in Bristol

Outside of university I work at my dads shop at home, due to his health not being in good shape due to finances, age, diabetes etc. (a side note he has been trying to sell the business for some time)
    This caused me to work in the shop a lot more, giving him time to relax. Affecting my studies a tonne.

Basically I failed 2nd year due to 1 module last year (14/15) On weekends i used to commute home and work in the shop losing all my revision timeresat it again this year(15/16) to which I failed I had to commute from home this year due to my dad needing me more than ever, I just lost a lot of revision time.

I realllllly don't know what to do, do I appeal, or just give up?

I was planning to be an accountant after Uni and yeah, i've got the 'My life is over' mentality :'(.

Please give me any advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tweetytwo)

I am/was a Mathematics Student

Basically I failed 2nd year due to 1 module last year (14/15) and resat it again this year(15/16) to which I failed

I was planning to be an accountant after Uni and yeah, i've got the 'My life is over' mentality :'(.

You should have a 'grace' year of student finance funding, you might have to redo your second year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    You should have a 'grace' year of student finance funding, you might have to redo your second year
    I've already done that and failed it again unfortunately

ReputationRep:
    I've already done that and failed it again unfortunately
    Did you have any extenuating circumstances or were you experiencing any unavoidable difficulties (on going illness, bereavement etc)

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am sorry you didn't pass the second year, can you repeat the exam you failed over the next couple of months and then if you pass move on to the third year.

How about taking the module into the third year if you can do it.

How about appealing their decision?

ReputationRep:

I am/was a Mathematics Student in Bristol

Outside of university I work at my dads shop at home, due to his health not being in good shape due to finances, age, diabetes etc. (a side note he has been trying to sell the business for some time)
    This caused me to work in the shop a lot more, giving him time to relax. Affecting my studies a tonne.

Basically I failed 2nd year due to 1 module last year (14/15) On weekends i used to commute home and work in the shop losing all my revision timeresat it again this year(15/16) to which I failed I had to commute from home this year due to my dad needing me more than ever, I just lost a lot of revision time.

can't you retake the exams ?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry guys I'll come back later. Todays just hit me too hard

ReputationRep:
    Do you have much in the way of evidence with respect to your dad's health? If so, that's wonderful - request him to write a covering letter as well as requesting one from your GP explaining your role and how the stress and commuting affected your ability to study.

As you acted as the primary care-giver, and it was a moment of crisis where he was dependent on you, you'd probably win a year of Compelling Personal Reasons.

The calculation for SFE funding is as follows

Duration of course + one gift year + any Compelling Personal Reasons year(s) - previous years of study.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 6, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.